Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what if you found someone in your stand

Old 10-10-2008, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what if you found someone in your stand

A stand on public ground is fair game here in Minnesota. It would be ethical and sportsmanslike to obviously give it up if you know it's not yours but as far as a CO they can't do anything.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

lmao now thats a good one
ORIGINAL: bcvd45

i would just climb right up and sit right next to them without saying a word. Then slowly nudge into the seat, put my arm around them and make them as uncomfortable as possible. It is only if they start doing it back that you have to worry.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Typical Buck

Seriously, the nerve of the person to just jump into a stand they found in the woods. That would be my first clue that someone owns the darn thing. funny thing is, how are you going to prove that its your stand???? Hopefully you have a label with your name on it to identify that its yours, if not, he could claim its his and then the C.O. would have to rationalize it out to figure who owns the stand. I also would not leave my stand on public property just in fear that it gets stolen. I would ask him to leave and if he didnt, take the bottom steps out and then call the C.O. to get it resolved. Just another reason (if you can do it) to take the bottom sticks or steps out when you leave so no one can get into it or steal it.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

guys here it is legal to leave a stand up from sept first to like Jan 15th
The lady at the office said they are not allowed to use it.
I was also told it could be taken as theft
something about using something that is not yours. i guest if your using someone Else's stand your in possession of it.
She also said it has been a issue in the past
I think i will call the head office for the dnr
Old 10-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Typical Buck

In Missouri, it's okay of you leave a stand up on public hunting ground but it "has" to be labeled with your name, address, and phone number. Here you're not supposed to use screw in steps on public ground (national forest) either. If this happened to me, I would probably be nice at first and explain to the guy that it's my stand and offer to show my ID to match the label if he cares! If he throws a fit or denies the request.........I don't know........depends on what kind of mood I'm in. He may leave the woods that night to find his truck has a flat tire or two?!?
Old 10-10-2008, 02:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

well here you must write your name on it. i did in three places one place is on the back right below where it holds to the tree. then on the top where you could see it from the ladder then one on the bottom
ORIGINAL: The Outdoorsman

Seriously, the nerve of the person to just jump into a stand they found in the woods. That would be my first clue that someone owns the darn thing. funny thing is, how are you going to prove that its your stand???? Hopefully you have a label with your name on it to identify that its yours, if not, he could claim its his and then the C.O. would have to rationalize it out to figure who owns the stand. I also would not leave my stand on public property just in fear that it gets stolen. I would ask him to leave and if he didnt, take the bottom steps out and then call the C.O. to get it resolved. Just another reason (if you can do it) to take the bottom sticks or steps out when you leave so no one can get into it or steal it.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

I'd try and get the guy in as much trouble as possible for being an absolute jerk.

I'd walk past him and maybe give him a "good luck" wave and then when out of site go get the CO and say he was in my stand and threatened me if I didn't leave.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

On public land! Nothing. Your not supposed to leave things behind. I've been tempted to sit in stands left, but thought that anyone who would leave a stand on public land isn't someoneI want hunting advise from. Besides, I wouldn't trust the same to set one safely
Old 10-10-2008, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

sounds good to me. the co said he doubts it was a serous bowhunter he said most will not leave anything behind not even a bottle. He said most will not even take a bottle with them.
I normaly take a bottle of water maybe a poweraid. I normaly leave a bottle to use for urine during the next hunt
ORIGINAL: bscofield

I'd try and get the guy in as much trouble as possible for being an absolute jerk.

I'd walk past him and maybe give him a "good luck" wave and then when out of site go get the CO and say he was in my stand and threatened me if I didn't leave.