Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Taking hunting too seriously?

Old 10-10-2008, 06:11 AM

Default RE: Taking hunting too seriously?

ORIGINAL: VA5326

ORIGINAL: Bowtech 360

People put a far more time in the off sesaon working so that they see deer in the season. Plus, seeing and watching deer make the time speed by and makes the hunt more enjoyable.
Ditto. I work my tail off in the off season. Seeing deer makes the sit more enjoyable and exciting......Just because I see deer doesn't mean I'm going to shoot everytime, I just enjoy watching them close by knowing that I have done my job correctly especiallywhen they are within bow range. You can learn alot just by watching deer. Getting skunked means nothing as there is always tomorrrow exception to that for meisopening day.
So do you think this mentality changes as the season goes on? Meaning, do you think people get more frustrated, faster as the season goes on - making the hunt less enjoyable for them? I could see that.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

When you expend significant effort you expect to reap the rewards.I don't like not seeing deer although I know I only need to see the right one.If I am consistently not seeing deer it is indicative to me that I havn't selected the right spot.So I need to put the effort in to getting on the animal or animals I am hunting.
I get far less frustrated bow hunting because to me it is a more passive form of huntingyou are setting up and hoping the deer will come to you.Sitting in a tree with your safety harness cinched tight with the sun on your face is a great place to escape from the stresses and strains of every day life.
Rifle hunting for me is far more effort intensive,walking many miles,still hunting in the thickets,uop and down mountains.I want to make it happen and when that kind of effort is expended I start to get a bit cranky if I don't create opportunities for myself.I still enjoy every minute of it though!
Old 10-10-2008, 06:21 AM

ORIGINAL: tsoc

When you expend significant effort you expect to reap the rewards.I don't like not seeing deer although I know I only need to see the right one.If I am consistently not seeing deer it is indicative to me that I havn't selected the right spot.So I need to put the effort in to getting on the animal or animals I am hunting.
I get far less frustrated bow hunting because to me it is a more passive form of huntingyou are setting up and hoping the deer will come to you.Sitting in a tree with your safety harness cinched tight with the sun on your face is a great place to escape from the stresses and strains of every day life.
Rifle hunting for me is far more effort intensive,walking many miles,still hunting in the thickets,uop and down mountains.I want to make it happen and when that kind of effort is expended I start to get a bit cranky if I don't create opportunities for myself.I still enjoy every minute of it though!

Very interesting point of view tsoc. I never thought of the total difference between bow and gun. Gun hunting for me too is often a very intensive form of hunting, I can see how expecting results with that type of hunting would be expected to a certain point - especially since so many people think that gun hunting isn't a challenge at all Good post.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Whats REALLY frustrating is not being able to hunt at all this weekend. Between my church's annual Lords Acre Harvest Festival and out of town house guests, well, I just won't get to make it to the woods. I guess I could but in the interests of domestic tranquility I better not! That just sucks!
Old 10-10-2008, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Because we are Men and we have a challenge in front of us and if we are not meeting our goals "seeing deer" we get frustrated.

[quote]ORIGINAL: Austin/WI

So why does not seeing deer on a couple sits have to ruin an otherwise good time?

Old 10-10-2008, 06:40 AM

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

Whats REALLY frustrating is not being able to hunt at all this weekend. Between my church's annual Lords Acre Harvest Festival and out of town house guests, well, I just won't get to make it to the woods. I guess I could but in the interests of domestic tranquility I better not! That just sucks!
LOL - ok this can ruin a hunt

ORIGINAL: 130woodman

Because we are Men and we have a challenge in front of us and if we are not meeting our goals "seeing deer" we get frustrated.
I understand frustration sucks, I've been there too, we all have. Maybe some people are able to just detach themselves from some of their frustrations. Example. I've played hockey most of my life. I've played on really really good teams and teams that most would just laugh at. There was a period of a few years where I was so intense and so focused on hockey that when we lost, or if I didn't meet my goal/assist expectations that I would just get super Pi$$'d off. After awhile I just got burned out.

It wasn't fun anymore. I got in several fights (both on the ice, and on the bench with my coach) and I knew then that I needed to take a small break to get my head back into things. While I was staying from the Ice, I realized the reasons I love the game and told myself that I wouldn't allow myself to get to that point again with hockey. Last year I got to that point again. I sat down and talked with my coach, who I have a lot respect for off the ice, and he told me that I needed to change the way I looked at things for my own good, both on the ice and off the ice.

I took that to heart and since I've been much more relaxed in many the things I do. I'm still a fierce competitor and my hockey stats have actually improved since, simply because I'm having fun again. Off the ice I've decided to take the same approach to many of the things I do - hunting included. So maybe I have a different point of view on how serious I take things, simply because I've been at the point where I've been ready to quit something I absolutely love.

btw: Give a big cheer for Carthage hockey, we won a big game last weekend in OT. I put in the gamewinner on a breakaway with 16 seconds left in OT!
Old 10-10-2008, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I believe that frustration is the worst part of hunting. If you get too frustrated then you start losing confidence which turns into doubts about stuff and ends up with the "im quitting" mentality. As long as i can keep seeing game and have good hunts then i feel i can take on the world, at the same time, ever since i wounded that buck last week ive been feeling lower and lower about hunting. I havnt seen deer during my last 2 hunts either, which doesnt help things. I enjoy being in the woods and i thank god for the oppurtunity but i believe that if hunters (myself)didnt see alot of game then most would all but quit or at least take a break.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wasn't sure where this was going when I read the title. I certainly hope to see deer everytime I go out, but I am very, very seldom disappointed with my day in the woods.

As for the title, I think EVERY hunter should take the season seriously. Practice and preparation are part of an ethical hunt, so I hope you take your approach to hunting seriously. It is like driving. You can be safe, preparedand attentive, and still enjoy the drive.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I take stillhunting seriously sometimes and i aware of it. I expect to see deer everytime in the places i hunt, seeing as the population is so high. I dont see it as a failure of a hunt, but i do get a little cranky if i go twice in a row and dont see deer. I enjoy nature, but i am there to see deer. I compete every year with my brother and some friends, so sometimes i take stillhunting too serious. We all throw in 20 apiece and the winner of the most bucks/combined with points get the money, but more importantly the bragging rights all year. Now whengeneral gun season rolls around and we allrun hounds then it is all fun and we arelucky to just enjoy hearing the dogs run one more year.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:47 AM

ORIGINAL: Austin/WI
How do you explain those who, quite possibly, take this too seriously, who miss the true idea of what hunting is?
The true idea of hunting for me is seeing deer and killing deer. That is why I go. Otherwise, I would just go out when convenient and comfortable and nature watch.