Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Taking hunting too seriously?

Old 10-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Taking hunting too seriously?

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

ORIGINAL: NY/Al

ORIGINAL: NY/Al

Hey, atleast you guys are hunting...[:@]
Oh yeah, you're in NY. Sorry, my friend. Oops... I mean[&o][&o]. Hang in there; it's almost here.....
Im gonna start bowhunting mice in my kitchen pretty soon....
Wouldn't that be considered hunting a "high fence" operation?
When there is an overpopulation of mice, ethics go by the wayside...
Old 10-09-2008, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to think a 'bad' day bow hunting is still better than a great day at work

All joking aside I don't think I've ever become upset. But it can get frustrating when your putting your heart and soul into something and it's not working out.... Just try and learn from past expierences and move on. Also, I have to have patience because of low deer populations where I hunt. It's not uncommon for me to do 10+ sits and not see a deer (and that's not even shot opportunities)- that's just hunting I guess.

But.... Just when you least expect it............
Old 10-09-2008, 04:10 PM

I agree with you to a point, which is where you said that "seeing or harvesting a deershould "just" beicing on the cake". I definitely don't see it that way. It's called "deer hunting"! How can you be pursuingdeer with the intent to kill one,hence the name "deer hunting", and consider seeing a deer or "harvesting" a deer just a "plus" to the trip?
Really simple, it won't completely ruin a hunt for me if I don't.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:11 PM

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Dont get me wrong. I love being in the timber, on the farm, or in the deep forests of North NJ as much as the next guy.....and I'll never take it for granted. I'm lucky to be able to sit there in the midst of nature.

I'll never be the guy thats not having a blast even if I'm only seeing doe..ever...But I will admit that I do get frustrated, sometimes.

Again, there's nothing wrong with getting frustrated, so long as it doesn't take away from the fact that you're still hunting, ie: you're not at work, school, etc.

ORIGINAL: SouthDakotaHunter

I like to think a 'bad' day bow hunting is still better than a great day at work

All joking aside I don't think I've ever become upset. But it can get frustrating when your putting your heart and soul into something and it's not working out.... Just try and learn from past expierences and move on. Also, I have to have patience because of low deer populations where I hunt. It's not uncommon for me to do 10+ sits and not see a deer (and that's not even shot opportunities)- that's just hunting I guess.

But.... Just when you least expect it............

You bring up a good point here, maybe this frustration level will change with location and related deer activity? I live in an area with a lot of deer, but during the early season, the sheer amount of browse for them can make hunting some areas seem like a wild goose chase as deer can be almost impossible to pattern. In other areas where there isn't as much food selection for deer or where the populations are more concentrated I could see where people may get more frustrated when they go a few sits on a good stand without seeing deer. But again, why let that ruin a hunt?

Old 10-09-2008, 04:31 PM

And I should make this straight, I'm not looking down upon or criticizing anyone who doesn't enjoy their hunts when they don't see deer. I'm just baffled by it and am truly looking to try to understand this side of things honestly.So if I offended any of you by my comments, my apologies - that was never my intention.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I expect to see almost every time. I've been at this long enough and have a big enough population of deer in most places I hunt so I feel I should be able to put myself in position to see deer quite often. It has nothing to do with any sort of competition or "need" to kill something. I know I'll go a few sits here and there with no deer, but when it gets to be consecutive strings of deerless sits, something is wrong and I get quite frustrated, as I am at the moment since I have not seen a deer in about 20 hours of hunting.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:40 PM

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I expect to see almost every time. I've been at this long enough and have a big enough population of deer in most places I hunt so I feel I should be able to put myself in position to see deer quite often. It has nothing to do with any sort of competition or "need" to kill something. I know I'll go a few sits here and there with no deer, but when it gets to be consecutive strings of deerless sits, something is wrong and I get quite frustrated, as I am at the moment since I have not seen a deer in about 20 hours of hunting.
I'll ask you the same thing I've asked everyone else - does that ruin a hunt for you? Can you still look back at the hunts and say "That was still enjoyable" ?
Old 10-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Austin/WI

I agree with you to a point, which is where you said that "seeing or harvesting a deershould "just" beicing on the cake". I definitely don't see it that way. It's called "deer hunting"! How can you be pursuingdeer with the intent to kill one,hence the name "deer hunting", and consider seeing a deer or "harvesting" a deer just a "plus" to the trip?
Really simple, it won't completely ruin a hunt for me if I don't.
Wow! I hope you didn't think I meant that. I have a great time if I don't get a deer too. We just look at it differently. I think it comes down to one thing. If I go hunting and don't get a deer, I still had a great time. It just wasn't a successful hunt to me. I'll still have one of the best times of my life, but to me, I won't have accomplished the primary mission of the trip. Lord knows the next time it happens it won't be the first or the lasttime.

One other thing. Youhave to understand that I'mnot saying you're wrong. We just see it differently, andI believe we're both right.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

Going hunting and not seeing deer is kinda crappy...BUT Id rather sit alone in the woods then be at work running my butt off!! I take hunting seriously because its something I'm passionate about and wish to always better myself at. Ask a runner if hes upset if he loses a race, or if a football player loses a game and they say yes. I see hunting as no different, seeing animals is winning the game in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Taking hunting too seriously?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.