Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Taking hunting too seriously?

Old 10-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Taking hunting too seriously?

ORIGINAL: Austin/WI

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

I don't know, I was pretty disappointed last week when I hunted 4 days straight mornings and evenings without seeing a deer. It was the first time I hunted a new lease. Had I seen even one doe 200 yds away I would have felt a lot better about the whole thing.

I think this is a normal thing though. There is always some hope and excitement when getting to hunt a new spot - and that can be disappointing when you go home empty handed. But on the flip side of that, I remember reading your post about those few days and remember you were quite pleased overall just because you had a great time, am I right, or am I thinking about a different post?

Burnie: Yes, frustration is normal, I know all too well about frustration. But during those hunts did you still not enjoy being out there? Can you look back at those hunts now and find something to smile about? If you can, than I don't think you fit into the type of people I'm thinking of. And the same goes to you LC.
You are absolutely right! I killed a hog and got to enjoy Gods creation. I was disappointed I didn't see deer though. All in all it was a great 4 days in the woods. It could have been better though!I'll do it all again next week for 5 days. I plan to have another great trip. If I see deer well so much the better!
Also, although I was disappointed I never complained about it.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:54 PM

ORIGINAL: 130woodman

I almost expect to see deer every sit. I have worked hard put in food plots did all the scouting. So I do expect to see a lot of deer. When I don't see a deer on a sit I'm not upset by it because it's hunting.I doo enjoy my time in the woods but it makes it better when theres deer sightings.
I agree that seeing deer can make a hunt more enjoyable, but does it make or break a hunt for you? Do you still enjoy being out there regardless?
Old 10-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 130woodman

I almost expect to see deer every sit. I have worked hard put in food plots did all the scouting. So I do expect to see a lot of deer. When I don't see a deer on a sit I'm not upset by it because it's hunting.I doo enjoy my time in the woods but it makes it better when theres deer sightings.
I agree that seeing deer can make a hunt more enjoyable, but does it make or break a hunt for you? Do you still enjoy being out there regardless?
Without question I still enjoy being out there!
Old 10-09-2008, 02:58 PM

You are absolutely right! I killed a hog and got to enjoy Gods creation. I was disappointed I didn't see deer though. All in all it was a great 4 days in the woods. It could have been better though!I'll do it all again next week for 5 days. I plan to have another great trip. If I see deer well so much the better!
My point exactly. You had a helluva time even though you didn't get to take a deer - isn't this what hunting is truly about? You bet. It's having a great time outside and getting to enjoy some time with some close friends, family, or even just getting to sit alone with your thoughts - harvesting or seeing deer should just be icing on the cake.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Bowtech 360

If the goal of hunting is to shoot a deer how can you not be disappointed in not seeing a deer. (Double negative) People put a far more time in the off sesaon working so that they see deer in the season. Plus, seeing and watching deer make the time speed by and makes the hunt more enjoyable.
Wait until you are in school and have even less time to be outdoors, you'll understand perfectly. Personally, I don't want the time to go by quick. Why rush through something you truly love to do? Why be in such a hurry to do something outdoors, when Mother Nature has a pace that is naturally far slower, is that not part of the beauty of hunting?
I love seeing deer, I wish everytime I sat in a tree, I seen deer from the second I get there to the second I get down. I find sitting a tree without seeing deer to be very disappointing. After a hunt without seeing a deer is like, "man, that was a waste of time."
Old 10-09-2008, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

My point exactly. You had a helluva time even though you didn't get to take a deer - isn't this what hunting is truly about? You bet. It's having a great time outside and getting to enjoy some time with some close friends, family, or even just getting to sit alone with your thoughts - harvesting or seeing deer should just be icing on the cake.
I agree with you to a point, which is where you said that "seeing or harvesting a deershould "just" beicing on the cake". I definitely don't see it that way. It's called "deer hunting"! How can you be pursuingdeer with the intent to kill one,hence the name "deer hunting", and consider seeing a deer or "harvesting" a deer just a "plus" to the trip? I don't know about you but seeing and "harvesting" deer is the PRIMARY reason I'm out there.Sure, it's not the only reason, but it is the primary reason. I do all of the other things you mentioned also, but I can also do all of those other things at any given time of the year. This is deer season and I'm after deer.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey, atleast you guys are hunting...[:@]
Old 10-09-2008, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: NY/Al

Oh yeah, you're in NY. Sorry, my friend. Oops... I mean[&o][&o]. Hang in there; it's almost here.....
Old 10-09-2008, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

Oh yeah, you're in NY. Sorry, my friend. Oops... I mean[&o][&o]. Hang in there; it's almost here.....
Im gonna start bowhunting mice in my kitchen pretty soon....
Old 10-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

Im gonna start bowhunting mice in my kitchen pretty soon....
Wouldn't that be considered hunting a "high fence" operation?

Quick Reply: Taking hunting too seriously?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.