Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Not Happy, need answers!

Old 10-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default Not Happy, need answers!

Last night I was hunting my woods with a buddy when he sends a text saying that he just shot a basket 8 (not happy).My other buddy and Ihave been practicing QDM for a while now and have up to 180 classtrail pics. So when we got the text saying that there was a potential good deer shot though mad we were determined to find it. Turned out he gut shot it (said he made decent shot), but found bile while blood trailing two hours after he shot it150 YDS from his stand. We stopped trailing at that point, called and got the weather forecast (rain), waited another hour and picked up the trail again. The blood started out good but dark, but trickeled out about 200 YDS into the trail. Found his arrow about250 YDS from his stand, and the blood was dark, but then the blood trail trickeled out (one drop every 20 YDS) then stopped completely. At this point he wanted to give up the trail cause his batteries were dying in his flashlight, while I was trying to still find the deer. Ended up leaving without finding the deer. I told him he needs to go look the following morning (today) and try to find it... He didn't. Pretty pissed about it and don't want to hunt with him anymore, but he has permission from the landowner to hunt also. Any suggestions on how to get him off the land???
Old 10-06-2008, 08:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Not Happy, need answers!

Fill the landowner in on the events but be careful, squabbles can turn a landowner off and kick everyone off as they don't need the stress.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Fork Horn

Without making yourself out to be an jerk I dont know if you can get someone "off the land" they have permission to hunt. Well I believe in QDM I also believe that a trophy is in the eye of the beholder. If he felt the need to take the buck then so be it, unless of course you own the land. That does not seem to be the case here. I also believe in looking high and low for a deer that is hit. From what it sounds like this situation may deter him from hunting for awhile anyway. A true archery hunter would break his back searching for a wounded animal. Sounds like you have a weekend warrior on your hands and the true "work" of hunting will keep him from spending much quality time in the woods. BUT thats just my 2 cents and its only worth what you want it to be. Just dont make yourself out to be the judge of the land. It wont end well, I dont believe anyway.

GL in the future with those 180 class bucks!!!
Old 10-06-2008, 08:57 PM

I can understand being upset with the fact that he gave up looking for the deer as quickly as he did, but wanting him off the land because of it?

Man, are hunters really this selfish anymore? You called him your buddy, yet you're posting here that you want to find a way to kick him off the land you both hunt?

[&:]

What happened to the days where hunting was something friends did together to have fun with one another? What happened to congratulating someone (especially someone you call a friend) when they shoot something they decide will make them happy?

/rant
Old 10-06-2008, 09:03 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

I can understand being upset with the fact that he gave up looking for the deer as quickly as he did, but wanting him off the land because of it?

Man, are hunters really this selfish anymore? You called him your buddy, yet you're posting here that you want to find a way to kick him off the land you both hunt?

[&:]

What happened to the days where hunting was something friends did together to have fun with one another? What happened to congratulating someone (especially someone you call a friend) when they shoot something they decide will make them happy?

/rant
Season opened Oct 1st, and he knows we have a 130in minimum on bucks (sorry I didn't say that). We were happy for him but he had a broadside 8YD shot, and gutshot it.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Fork Horn

maybe im to honest, but you've never hit a deer bad? Get off your high horse. Im sure happy I dont have a "buddy" like this.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: PABrent

maybe im to honest, but you've never hit a deer bad? Get off your high horse. Im sure happy I dont have a "buddy" like this.
Honestly, I spine shot a deer at 30 YDS once..... Wont shoot outside 20 now although I shoot 3in groups at 40YDS. Target shooting and hunting are 2 seperate things. Not on "my high horse" just want the deer on that land to be let go until 130in min. Thats what we all have agreed on. Dont get me wrong, I want him to shoot a deer but I just cant understand how you can gut shoot a deer at 8YDS. BTW, there were no obstacles (sticks, etc) blocking the shot....
Old 10-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like you guys went after the deer too quick especially if you found signs of a gut hit. Read this http://www.huntingnet.com/FORUM/tm.aspx?m=2987754
Old 10-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: hammerman

Sounds like you guys went after the deer too quick especially if you found signs of a gut hit. Read this http://www.huntingnet.com/FORUM/tm.aspx?m=2987754
I realized that (after finding the bile). He advised us he made a good shot.... After we found bile, we called and found out there was rain coming, thats why we picked up the trail sooner than I would have liked.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IA Buck Hunter

Last night I was hunting my woods with a buddy when he sends a text saying that he just shot a basket 8 (not happy).My other buddy and Ihave been practicing QDM for a while now and have up to 180 classtrail pics. So when we got the text saying that there was a potential good deer shot though mad we were determined to find it. Turned out he gut shot it (said he made decent shot), but found bile while blood trailing two hours after he shot it150 YDS from his stand. We stopped trailing at that point, called and got the weather forecast (rain), waited another hour and picked up the trail again. The blood started out good but dark, but trickeled out about 200 YDS into the trail. Found his arrow about250 YDS from his stand, and the blood was dark, but then the blood trail trickeled out (one drop every 20 YDS) then stopped completely. At this point he wanted to give up the trail cause his batteries were dying in his flashlight, while I was trying to still find the deer. Ended up leaving without finding the deer. I told him he needs to go look the following morning (today) and try to find it... He didn't. Pretty pissed about it and don't want to hunt with him anymore, but he has permission from the landowner to hunt also. Any suggestions on how to get him off the land???
I can come down only take a couple of hours and beat him down. I would be happy to hunt with ya. Hell I will even drag and field dress all your deer. lol J/k

That bites sorry to hear that. Bad shots happen occasionally going against the practices of QDM if thats what you practice really is unfortunate. Especially if he has a legit shot at a 180"!!!!

Quick Reply: Not Happy, need answers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.