Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Not Happy, need answers!

Old 10-06-2008, 10:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Not Happy, need answers!

I made a bad shot last week on a buck that was 12 yards, does that make me a bad hunter?

My point is stuff happens, he was excited and took the shot, thats his choice and if your his "buddy" you would be happy for him and not mad. Now i can understand being mad about him not looking for it the next day (because from the info presented that deer is dead), thats where your buddy went wrong. But like said before, the trophy is in the eye of the beholder. Just my 2c.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:02 PM
Fork Horn

Like I have said B4, he is my "buddy", so no I don't want anyone to help beat him down... Just frustrated he went against our agreement on taking 130+ bucks. This is just one of the bucks cruising around on the land now since we have been letting them grow. The deer he shot was a 1.5yr old I have many photos of and was looking foward to seeing him in a couple years if he made it. On top of that he made a bad shot. When we first started trailing the deer I was excited for him and was pumped to find it, but it pissed me off when he wanted to give up. I would NEVER give up on an animal I shot until I had exausted every option. I know there are alot of newbies on here, who can relate to making bad shots, but youALL need to give the animal you hunt the respect to put EVERY effort into finding it after you kill it. That is what pissed me off the most about the situation.I would have gone and looked for it this morning but had to work. If it was a deer I shot, I would have taken the day off. He said earlier tonight after he got off work, after a day of 76 degree temps, that he wanted to go look for the deer to cut off the rack, as the meat was spoiled. I thinkthat's ****ty of him... Just my 2 cents...
Old 10-06-2008, 11:09 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Tribal

ORIGINAL: IA Buck Hunter

Last night I was hunting my woods with a buddy when he sends a text saying that he just shot a basket 8 (not happy).My other buddy and Ihave been practicing QDM for a while now and have up to 180 classtrail pics. So when we got the text saying that there was a potential good deer shot though mad we were determined to find it. Turned out he gut shot it (said he made decent shot), but found bile while blood trailing two hours after he shot it150 YDS from his stand. We stopped trailing at that point, called and got the weather forecast (rain), waited another hour and picked up the trail again. The blood started out good but dark, but trickeled out about 200 YDS into the trail. Found his arrow about250 YDS from his stand, and the blood was dark, but then the blood trail trickeled out (one drop every 20 YDS) then stopped completely. At this point he wanted to give up the trail cause his batteries were dying in his flashlight, while I was trying to still find the deer. Ended up leaving without finding the deer. I told him he needs to go look the following morning (today) and try to find it... He didn't. Pretty pissed about it and don't want to hunt with him anymore, but he has permission from the landowner to hunt also. Any suggestions on how to get him off the land???
I can come down only take a couple of hours and beat him down. I would be happy to hunt with ya. Hell I will even drag and field dress all your deer. lol J/k

That bites sorry to hear that. Bad shots happen occasionally going against the practices of QDM if thats what you practice really is unfortunate. Especially if he has a legit shot at a 180"!!!!
Yea it sucks, the pic I posted is of one of the 160-170in bucks I have gotten on trail cam.... The big one wont be posted until I get him (hopefully). I just like hunting with people who share the same ethics as I do, so that is why I'm frusterated by what happened. Good luck this season!
Old 10-07-2008, 05:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

So is it the landowners decission for the minimum 130 class requirement or was it an agreement between you and youre buddies? Are you paying for the right to hunt the land with a lease? Do you have it posted withQDMA?? Bad shots happen to even the best bow hunters in the world and you want to condem him for a bad shot and lose a friend over it??? He may have thought at the time he made a good shot, it happens. You dont know all the details, the deer may have been slightly quartering to and looked broadside...its been known to happen. Kicking him off the land is not your responsibility, its the land owners, and if you do get him kicked off, well you just lost a friend. You need to ask yourself one important question......is it really worth it?????
Old 10-07-2008, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Quit whining on the keyboard. You should be telling him exactly how you feel.

Personally, if my "buddy" hit a deer and wanted to quit trailing before I did, and then did not get out there the next AM, I would not hunt with him any more. Maybe you can't get him kicked off, but tell him he's on his own until he can see things through when a bad hit is made.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:35 AM
Typical Buck

If there was an agreement on what type of antlered deer to shoot and he didn't comply, then it should have been addressed the moment he told you what he had shot. Prolonging it doesn't make it better, you need to nip it in the bud IMO.

If the "rules" were clear and obvious to all members of your party, thensomething doesn't add up though, did he intentionally shoot something smaller than 130 or did he claim he misjudged the size?
Old 10-07-2008, 06:36 AM
Fork Horn

I agree, with the pics you posted i can see why you want the young to live. Hell I shot a deer in PA and the week before I passed a deer up of the same size in Ohio because we have giants there. Your friend sounds like a really immature, new hunter and doesn't understand the respect we and you have for these animals. Id just straight up tell him whats on your mind, just don't come off aggressive or the situation may go south. Good luck with those big boys!! Just like I said come to him in a calm demeanor and tell him he needs to work harder for a wounded deer and honor his agreement for 130inch deer or else hes on his own...GL
Old 10-07-2008, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't stew in your own juice!! Tell your buddy what you have said here. It sounds like he has a verbal sack punch coming but not much more.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:23 AM
Fork Horn

IA, I don't really know some folks are getting on your case here. The way I understood the post was that you are frustrated that the guy went against the minimum size agreement and then gave up on finding the deer, not that he made a bad shot.

I would be upset too. For what it's worth, I hope you guys get it straightened. It is unlikely you really want him kicked off the land. From the landowners perspective - he'd be out the other guy's portion of cash for the lease unless you other guys covered it. From your perspective - you'd prolly lose a friend over it. Maybe you guys should get together before the next hunt, just you three guys, and make sure everyone understands the minimum 130 to help ensure this doesn't happen again.

Good luck. I hope you get it straightened out.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: PABrent

Without making yourself out to be an jerk I dont know if you can get someone "off the land" they have permission to hunt. Well I believe in QDM I also believe that a trophy is in the eye of the beholder. If he felt the need to take the buck then so be it, unless of course you own the land. That does not seem to be the case here. I also believe in looking high and low for a deer that is hit. From what it sounds like this situation may deter him from hunting for awhile anyway. A true archery hunter would break his back searching for a wounded animal. Sounds like you have a weekend warrior on your hands and the true "work" of hunting will keep him from spending much quality time in the woods. BUT thats just my 2 cents and its only worth what you want it to be. Just dont make yourself out to be the judge of the land. It wont end well, I dont believe anyway.

GL in the future with those 180 class bucks!!!
Couldnt have said it better myself!!!

Quick Reply: Not Happy, need answers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.