Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Not quite the opening day I imagined...

Old 10-05-2008, 06:41 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Not quite the opening day I imagined...

As my dad use to say...

Somedaysyou get the bear....and somedays the bear gets you!
Old 10-05-2008, 09:21 AM

Default RE: Not quite the opening day I imagined...

ORIGINAL: RockinChair

ORIGINAL: Finch

Well, its been a tough day. I'm going to try and keep this short.

Walking in this morning I swear I scared away every deer in the county. They were bedded right where I needed to be. Got to my "stand" this morning and had a hard time distinguishing which tree was actually the one I needed to be in. I made it up about 25 feet and realized I was in the wrong tree. Got down and finally found my tree. It was just breaking daylight. I haven't made that mistake....in years.[&:] That's what I get for hunting in some many poplars.

Couple hours later, I saw a doe about 70 yards out and she was spooked. Nothing I did. Moments later...I look to my right and see another hunter with a crossbow in hand. I knew he was trespassing. I waited until he was out of sight and I scurried down the tree and headed in that direction. I get to the last place I saw him and started glassing. Spotted him! He was sitting (almost laying down) trying to hide from me. I walk over and he takes off his mask. He said, "I just saw the biggest buck of my life." He held up his hand to show me how bad he was shaking. He's a teenager...about 15 or so. I asked him if he had permission and he feeds me some BS. Well, I finally get the truth out of him and politely told him he was not supposed to be here. I got his name and then he was on his way.

Evening hunt. I blew a perfectly good opportunity to whack a nanny at 20 yards. I waited too long to draw and she spotted me. Darkness was coming and I was getting my things together. I hear two gunshots and two men talking afterwards. I can't be certain but I think they capped a couple deer. Moments later, I heard them drive off.

On the way home. Some maniac tries running me off the road all the while having on her high beams. Trying to pass me in curves and riding right on my bumper. I nosedived a couple times hoping she would eat bumper. I finally get to a point to pull over and she drives on by blinding every other fellow motorist on the way. I reported her to the cops....let's hope they get her.

Anyway....its been a hell of a day. Thank God that I'm home and still alive. Football and some jack and coke and this day is history.
Ah- please don't think that crossbowers are like that! Cause I can rest assure you we are not!
Getting a little defensive are we?[&:] Maybe it came out wrong. I didn't mean it to sound that way. (Damn crossbowers[8D])

I know he was trespassing because there are only a few of us that are allowed to hunt this property and I would have seen his vehicle. I hunt near the property border and there are a couple houses down near it.

When I asked if he knew who's land he was on, he told me. So ignorance wasn't a factor.