Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Based on this, when would you expect rut?

Old 10-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default Based on this, when would you expect rut?

I spoke to the ranch biologist in Florida who oversees 40 leases and he says in Central Florida, based on fetus studies, the rut typically kicks in during September of October. Last yr, it was the first week of October.

This yr, I am pretty sure it has not yet occurred. I've not seen evidence in terms of behavior but more importantly, I've not seen very many rubs. Wouldn't the lack of rubs suggest rut has not kicked in? There are a few from the velvet stages, but not like I usually see it with rubs everywhere on the cypress heads.

Assuming the rut has not occurred, I believe we must be very close. Can you determine when it is most likely to kick in based on moon phases? Where I am going is, I'd like to take a couple of vacation days now that we must be close to it kicking in, but don't know enough about moon and rut to know when it is most likely to occur and what days I might take off.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. In Florida, Central, the rut is not very pronounced, but something should start happening soon.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:01 PM

Default RE: Based on this, when would you expect rut?

The Rut, at least in my Area seems to Peak in Early Nov, not early Oct....
Old 10-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

From about Virginia it depends upon moon stage. Usually, about the end of October there is a full moon which is referred to as the rutting moon. The amount of dalying taken in through the deer's eye triggers a sensory receptor in the brain triggering the fact that it is mating season (photoperiodism). While the dates/times may be different, do a little research along these lines and you may be able to decipher when exactly the should or should have hit in your state.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:36 PM
Typical Buck

full moon is Oct 14th, which is Tuesday, 10 days from now. Based on that, would you expect the rut could kick in just before or after the full moon. If before, I would hunt sat/sun/mon/tues. If after, wed/thurs
Old 10-04-2008, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Likely just after, but then again, you've got to remember that there are different stages of the rut and you're likely not going to see breeding for a couple of weeks. However, that does not mean that rutting activity should not be good as you'll see the seek/chase phase(s) where you'll get your prime time hunting Remember, when dealing with the rut, its a marathon not a sprint
Old 10-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I spoke to the ranch biologist in Florida who oversees 40 leases and he says in Central Florida, based on fetus studies, the rut typically kicks in during September of October. Last yr, it was the first week of October.
I don't know nothing of what goes on In Florida deer hunting but I do know this that there will never ever be a full rut going on the 1st week of October here In Minnesota or any of the northern states and provinces.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

when the bucks want some and the does are hot i think about that time lol
[align=left] [/align]
Old 10-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

Im reading a great book right now...based on northern states (Northeastern section) anyway he states the Rut will start 28 days (give or take a few days) following the "pre rut frenzy" which is a 48-72 hour period with all the signs of the real rut. He say's this frenzy period will come around the 13th-15th of October obviously give or take a few days. What to look for: He say's right now the bucks obviously still in bachelor groups and in their feeding patterns. Soon the bucks will catch a wiff of a very Mature doe or for that matter several mature does going into estrus which is the trigger for this frenzy phase. So.....no scrapes and rubs right now (few out there)but when all of a sudden you do see this all happening....28 days from then is the peak rut. Oh yeah...the rut is onlykicked off by one thing...preorbital gland, which is what monitors the decrease in daylight helping trigger chemicals to the brain to start rutting behavior.Great book!!! check it out. Its called Whitetail Strategies the ultimate guide by Peter Fiduccia
Old 10-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

The ruttting moon this year is November 13th.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Typical Buck

I don't really care for hunting the rut that much anyway....at least not the peak of breeding activity. The seeking chasing phase is the best and it usually kicks in on my place here in Missouri about 15th or 16th of October. That's when I'll start seeing bucks that do not live on my property...and usually several of them......not that the peak of breeding isn't good, just seems like they get more and more locked down the closer to the middle of November it gets.

Just my two cents.....

GH