Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

did i hit the deer?????

Old 10-04-2008, 05:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: did i hit the deer?????

Hmmmmmmmmmmm..... Sounds like you may have even missed the earth.[&:][&:] I feel like my leg is being yanked on.[&:]
Old 10-04-2008, 05:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Im with you on this one as well. sounds like a miss on the first one and a gut shot on the second.

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

A deer hit in the ribs will make a solid WHACK sound.

A gut shot deer will make that hollow watermelonimpact sound.

My guess you missed the first deer and you gut shot the second.

As far as a deer's reaction to the shot, you'll have to teach yourself to pay closer attention to how they react than you did while you were rifle hunting. Watch their tails,is the deerhunched over, are they at a dead sprint or are they only half running away or walking, are they bounding erratically from side to side as they run, etc... How the act at the shot and immediately after can give you a good indication as to where you hit the deer.

A good book for you to pick up and read multiple times would be Finding Wounded Deer by John Trout Jr.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

You need to get out there and find the arrows. If you cant see or hear the arrows hitting something especially the ground,then you may be off more than you think. Im sure you gut shot the second deer and missed the first one, if you gut shot the second one the arrow should be laying there, were the deer quartering away or to you or broadside?
Old 10-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with this.. You should find the second deer if you didn't push it too far.. That sound is something I've heard before from a dying deer...

good luck

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

A deer hit in the ribs will make a solid WHACK sound.

A gut shot deer will make that hollow watermelonimpact sound.

My guess you missed the first deer and you gut shot the second.

As far as a deer's reaction to the shot, you'll have to teach yourself to pay closer attention to how they react than you did while you were rifle hunting. Watch their tails,is the deerhunched over, are they at a dead sprint or are they only half running away or walking, are they bounding erratically from side to side as they run, etc... How the act at the shot and immediately after can give you a good indication as to where you hit the deer.

A good book for you to pick up and read multiple times would be Finding Wounded Deer by John Trout Jr.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:44 AM

GOOD EATIN TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!First deer was a miss. found the arrow stuck about 6 to 8 inches in the ground. Arrow was immaculate(except for the dull broadheads)no blood, no slime, no hair. The trajectory of the arrow would have been a low miss.
Went to where the second deer was standing to look for the second arrow. Could not find it or any sign of a hit. Started down the trail she took, to get to the spot i last saw her, looking carefully for blood. Found no blood, but it was apparent she was hit because of the many, many snapped limbs on each side the trail. Followed this for awhile until i found about a four inch pieceof the knock end of the arrow. found blood shortly after, and the deer within 150 yards of where i shot here. Arrow hit a little far back, but since she was quartering away it ran into the opposit shoulder and never passed. Shot was also a little high. I think i got a the liver and one lung.
Its a good thing i found her where i did though. to the west of my property is a thick pine thicket that the lease owner claims he uses for a sanctuary and will not let me on it. But hey, most of the deer i see come off his property to mine.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Im with everyone else, just make sure not to disturb the area to much.I lost one 2 days ago and its a bad feeling but you have to do all you can to try and find him.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:01 PM

This is my little golden 98 acres. To the west is a pine thicket that the owner claims is a sanctuary. Don't know if that is true but i'm almost positive that many deer due bed down in there. The south was just recently clearcut, as well as some of the east. A small soybean field,(maybe10 acres)that is entirely for deer, to the remainder of the east border. Another pine thicket to half of the north, with the remainder of the border clear cut except for the SMZ.On my property the SMZ is the only elevation change.Green are hardwoods and the red are pines. Dotted lines are well defined and well used deer trails. The x is where i shot the doe with the red line being her trail as she expired.

having trouble uploading the pic, should get it shortly

Old 10-04-2008, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

Hey theres no prof of this without pics man lets see it
Old 10-04-2008, 12:12 PM

glad to hear it worked out and you found her. but we need to see pics now!. you cant come on here asking for advice, and then violate the man law!!
Old 10-04-2008, 12:19 PM

Excellent news, glad to hear you found her.

Good on ya for getting back out there this morning.

Quick Reply: did i hit the deer?????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.