Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

did i hit the deer?????

Old 10-03-2008, 10:26 PM

Default RE: did i hit the deer?????

With a bow i don't just get buck fever, i get doe fever too. It's pathetic i know. But this would also be close to the biggest deer i've ever killed, and my first bow kill. From now on i will be inspecting every shot before i shoot again.
Any advice from anybody is highly appreciated. I'm not going to get any sleep tonight worrying about these deer.
I would like to clarify that i due respect the animal. Everytime i hunt it is fair chase. I always exhaust myself in my efforts of retrieving deer. Ive even gone so far as digging in the ground to look for a bullet to assure me i've missed. I dont want everybody to think that i'm out there just flinging arrows and not worrying about a wounded deer. I'm here looking for advice from more experienced bowhunters in order to advance myself in my passion.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:27 PM
Typical Buck

Hey man, Im not an expert, but Im just reinforcing the idea to look, and look HARD.

I don't know if you read my post or not earlier "First Bow Kill, Thanks...."

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3078574

I looked for my deer for 11 hours total, never found a single drop of blood. The fact is I KNEW I hit my deer though, I saw the arrow.

But when you go look for them, look until you can't look anymore, and then look some more. Especially look around water or any place you think that deer may feel secure.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:46 PM

These were taken directly from Finding Wounded Deer by John trout Jr.

Liver Hit -

"When the liver is hit, a deer usually lunges ahead quickly and runs hard, but not as fast as a lung-shot deer. However, it typically runs harder than a stomach- or intestine-shot deer. A liver-shot deer will not run a short distance, stop, and stand for awhile, as many gut-shot deer do.

The blood of a liver-shot deer is dark red, appearing almost maroon. However, it is not as dark as that of a gut-shot deer. Judging the color of blood is easiest when you see a bloddy arrow, or blood on the ground before it dries."

Stomach Wound -

"When hit in the stomach, a deer will not run hard, such as a deer hit in the lungs. It will often jump, take a few bounds, then stop if it doesn't know you are there. Some stomach-shot deer will only flinch, and then run gently for a short distance. However, when the deer moves away, it will usually walk slowly. The deer may also appear hunkered, with the back hunched and the legs widespread. You may also notice that the deer's neck and head are stretched out and even with the back - not above the back as with an alert deer."

Intestinal-Shot -

"The reaction of the intestinal-shot deer is much like the stomach-shot deer. It often appears hunched, and seldom leaves the scene running. If the deer runs, it appears sluggish, and will soon slow down and begin walking. If you can see at least fifty yards, you will probably notice this reaction, or see the deer stop and stand before it walks out of view.

You will often find less blood when you track an intestinal-shot deer than when you track a deer shot in the stomach. The holes in the deer seem to clog sooner, perhaps because of the mushy tissue of the intestines, and the contents inside the intestines."

Double-Lung -

"When a deer is hit in the lungs, and the heart and aorta artery is spared, it usually lunges forward and goes into a hard run, much like that of a racehorse coming down the home stretch. Its belly is also low to the ground as it takes long strides. A deer may go over the tops of bushes, and may leap over brushpiles that are in the way. When the deer begins running, the tail is often up about halfway. After the animal runs thirty to fourty yards, the tail usually drops. These are typical reactions.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:49 PM

I will take spend as much time as it takes to find the deer or be thoroughly assured i missed. I phoned the surrounding land owner earlier to ask for his permission to access his land if needed. I was only on a 98 acre of land and if i gut shot the deer he could be off my98 acres so imight be off my property for some time. Thanks foreverybodys advice and if u can, keep it coming. I'm new and need a lot of it.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:00 PM

another question? i did not find the arrows but i can easily chalk that up to either not passing through or just the darkness. I didnt find any blood either(i know that there could be possible blood in the short trailing i did of both deer but i didnt see any in the dark and might find it in the morning during daylight). But due to the fact that i thought i missed the first deer and only looked for about twenty five yards, and didn't want to push what i thought was the second deer, how far could it be before i found blood? If gutshot is it possible to find no blood at all? need as much advice as possible to retrieve these deer.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:24 PM

Depends on the wound.

You may find little to no blood in the first 30 to 75 yards.

Depending on where you hit the deer, internal bleeding and coagulation may lead to no blood at all.

Look hard, take a spray bottle with a little dilluted peroxide in it, and take your time.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:43 PM
Typical Buck

Best of luck in the morning - WH is 100% right Finding Wounded Deer is a great reference well worth the read (multiple times)... one of those books that most every bow hunter should have.

Take your time and go slow and again - good luck.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dmbeard

another question? i did not find the arrows but i can easily chalk that up to either not passing through or just the darkness. I didnt find any blood either(i know that there could be possible blood in the short trailing i did of both deer but i didnt see any in the dark and might find it in the morning during daylight). But due to the fact that i thought i missed the first deer and only looked for about twenty five yards, and didn't want to push what i thought was the second deer, how far could it be before i found blood? If gutshot is it possible to find no blood at all? need as much advice as possible to retrieve these deer.

First deer I killed last season... I totally miffed the shot. Should have been a chip shot.... 17 yards.... I thought the deer was slightly quartering away... but it was more broadside than I thought. I ended up getting most of the esophagas, and the liver. I gave it time.... 5 hours worth before the rain set in. On my hands and knees I tracked that deer and I found about enough blood over the next 120 yards to perhaps fill up a shot glass. Going on intuition and what looked like scuffed leaves... I found that doe piled up at about 125 yards.... she had bedded up and died fairly quickly. Got a complete passthrough and a pretty quick-fatal shot... and hardly any blood trail at all. Patience is the name of the game.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

My 1st suggestion to you, is GET A RANGE FINDER!!! It will spare your thoughts and yardage guesstamates. Yes they are somewhat pricy, but they are soo worth it. i shoot 3d's and consider myself pretty good at guessing yardage, but in a real situation (especially elevated) it is sometimes much harder to presume a certain yardage.

2nd, Try your best to do what you can. Take your time, and try not to get too down on yourself. You will recover from this experience i promise. EVeryone i know, has wounded/not found a deer with a bow. IT HAPPENS. Im not saying its ok, or we as hunters shouldnt give our all for a clean kill by anymeans, but it does happen.

Bowhunting is so extreme compared to gun hunting, to me it makes gun hunting seem tame. Getting shaken up is normal too. A gun kill will probably never be as exciting as a bow kill b/c the animal has to be closer and there are so many other factors involved that make it such a challenge. i think the rest of these guys have covered your questions pretty good, im jsut trying to make sure u understand you arent the only one. make ethical decisions and each animal shot at your best effort to make a good kill and you will be fine. Good Luck!
Derek
Old 10-04-2008, 04:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Within your circle of friends do you not have any that bowhunt that could take you under their wing to give you experience to become a proficient bowhunter? If not are there any archery shops close by that you could befriend someone that will share the woods with you? Sounds like having a mentor by your side wold be a great asset. If you were within my area I would gladly share the woods with you.You have some good advise here,good luck and keep us posted.

Quick Reply: did i hit the deer?????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.