Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broadhead Shattering bone.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Broadhead Shattering bone.

Muzzy has always been the mainstay in my family .... they do tremendous damage on bone ...breaking legs .... my nephew shatteredthe back on a deer as well......Rob, I would have loved to see that pic of the femur ..that would be cool ...
Old 10-02-2008, 04:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Where do I begin? My broadheads seem to have an affinity for bone.
I’ve broken 3 off side shoulders on bucks, even that big ridged bone.
9 spine shots (no comment)[:'(]
4 times blowing thru the flat part of the scapula and once hitting the lower shoulder bone that separated the joint, rather than breaking the bone.

1 each of the shoulder breaking, spine and scapula shots were with Rocky Mountain razors. They held up, but the spine & shoulder hits rendered the head no longer useful.

All the other hits have been with thunderheads and in all but 2 cases of a bent ferrule, the heads were reusable. Blades have been bent & trashed, but never broken.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

The second deer I ever shot was a doe I hit while she was walking.Well, she stopped walking the instant I hit the release and I hit her in the shoulders. I shoot Satellite Mag 100's. They're compareable to Thunderheads. Anyway, the arrow went throught BOTH shoulders. It made a perfect broadhead-hole through the near shoulder blade and a ragged shattered hole through the far shoulder blade. About 8"-9" of arrow were broke off with the broadhead. The rest of it was stuck in the chest cavity between the shoulders. As far as the head went, it was trashed, with the ferrul bent and the blades mangled, but it did much better than I would ever have expected it to.

I've spined 2 deer and neither head fully penetrated the bone. The first deer I ever shot I went through ribs on both sides. I sharpened the blades and put the arrow back in my quiver.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

I have 1 really good one actually.With what people consider a "flimsy" Rocket mechanical.

I shot a doe bedded downhill at about 30 yards facing away from me. She was pretty steeply down the hill facing away and I had basically her whole back to shoot at almost like a straight down shot.
I really took my time and burned a hole through her and the release cracked off.

The arrow hit her in the spine and SHATTERED it, I mean blew it into ragged pieces to the point where you could grab either side and completely separate the vertebrae.
The arrow continued through her chest, out her brisket and broke her right foreleg almost in half that was tucked under her as she was laying there.

THis was a good sized doe too.
The bow was a 2001 Bowtech Mighty Might at 70# shooting a 356gr A/C/C at 318fps tipped with a 75gr Rocket Miniblaster.

Needless to say, she didn't travel very far.

This is just what I needed to hear!This is the head I switched to this year!
Old 10-02-2008, 05:35 AM
Dominant Buck

If I wanted to be belittled and called a lier I'd post that I have shot through the spine and out the bottom of several bucks.So I won't.
Now wait a minute.....lol. Aren't you the one doing most of the belittling....at others for their shot placement, etc...?

Far as I know....you've only killed one deer. You've been in the contest since its inception....and entered ONE buck. Now.....to prove a point about a BH.....you've now, suddenly "shot through the spine and out the bottom of several bucks".

I don't need to belittle you, Jim. You're doing a fine job.

Tell ya what I'm gonna do....Next deer I shoot...I'm gonna cut all the legs off and shoot at them with the Muzzy 3-blade....the Thunderhead and the Rage. Hell I'll shoot the next ones with something else. I've got a bunch of different BH's lying around. It'll be interesting to see how they perform. I'll have to devise a way to set them up (Putting them against a hard surface wouldn't be realistic. But I'll figure something out. I don't know if anyone's testing BH's through bone, or not. Hell what would this take? 5-10 minutes?

Old 10-02-2008, 05:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

If I wanted to be belittled and called a lier I'd post that I have shot through the spine and out the bottom of several bucks.So I won't.
Now wait a minute.....lol. Aren't you the one doing most of the belittling....at others for their shot placement, etc...?

Far as I know....you've only killed one deer. You've been in the contest since its inception....and entered ONE buck. Now.....to prove a point about a BH.....you've now, suddenly "shot through the spine and out the bottom of several bucks".

I don't need to belittle you, Jim. You're doing a fine job.
You do enjoy this don't you.

I know golfers are prone to lie "mulligans and such" but some of us have no reason to pat our selves on the back we actually hunt for personal satisfaction. []

I killed more bucks beforeI was married than you will ever "blunder" into if you hunt the rest of your life. And I've been married 26 years.

Your all the way up to ......................what ? Three and a couple of real slammers to boot.

Have a great time on the beach, Jim

Old 10-02-2008, 05:54 AM
Dominant Buck

You have to go personal, huh JIm? Ahhh yes....King Ad Hominem reigns supreme

You're the only one I've ever seen who has killed more bucks than there are cameras in the world. Last time I called you on this you sent me a bunch of photos (Via PM) of dead deer in the back of various trucks....and you nowhere to be seen in ANY of them. I guess that's proof enough, though.

We'll have a blast at the beach, Jim.....and we don't have to worry about getting harpooned.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Look at the truck in those picturesagain,and if you want I'llsend you another one because its sitting out front of the shop now.

But of course you knew that.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:03 AM

You're the only one I've ever seen who has killed more bucks than there are cameras in the world. Last time I called you on this you sent me a bunch of photos (Via PM) of dead deer in the back of various trucks....and you nowhere to be seen in ANY of them. I guess that's proof enough, though.

You have to go personal, huh JIm? Ahhh yes....King Ad Hominem reigns supreme
Dude, Me thinks Jim wasnt the one who went personal.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:05 AM
Dominant Buck

T....Nobody pulled your chain. Here's what he said that started it all.

Because God and Jeff both know thats not possible
Don't let 'ol Jimmy fool ya. He knows exactly what he's doing....and he's a master at it.

And no offense....but whatver's said is between Jim and I.

OK?

Quick Reply: Broadhead Shattering bone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.