Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

lost deer

Old 10-01-2008, 08:46 PM

Default RE: lost deer

ya iam going to look
Old 10-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the other fellers circle, circle and keep circling, he's dead somewhere.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:48 PM

Seriously, if you haven't read through Rob's tracking thread yet, do it. It could end up saving you a lot of time and heartache.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

How much did you look?..........How far did you track?..........etc etc.
If this is going to be like pulling teeth seriously don't expect too much help.

You do realize that you probably WON'T find any blood at least for some distance because the arrow entered high with no exit right?
You might now find any even next to the animal laying there dead...........so what are your plans from here? Just be pissed and say "Oh well" or what?

Wait til' first light, take the likely direction of travel and go SLOWLY. JUst because you aren't finding any sign doesn't mean the deer is off eating daisies somewhere.
Look high on passing tree trunks for light blood splatter.

Matt, I would love to share the woods with you someday....I like your take on things.....

Get all of your buddies and run a grid in the morning, slowly, you will find blood, the deer has a broadhead and arrow in it....everything bleeds somewhat no matter what happens....think if someone jacked you in the top of the shoulder with a bh tipped arrow, would blood hit the ground right away?????? NO.....give it a few yards.....find the blood and stay on it.....Good Luck!
Old 10-01-2008, 08:56 PM

Sounds like a high shoulder hit ,keep making circles and get some freinds to help the more eyes the better and watch for buzzards circling they never lie,hope you find your buck.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:23 PM

You might of got him in the shoulder bone.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

how far did you/could you watch it?
Old 10-02-2008, 02:31 AM
Fork Horn

Circling is good advice, if you have to get down on all fours looking for blood along the path the deer took.

Some states have dogs who will blood track and this service is often free might be worth checking out http://www.unitedbloodtrackers.org/index.php
They will want as much info as possible about where you hit the deer and what sort of penetration you got also how the deer reacted to the shot.

Good luck
Old 10-02-2008, 04:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

And so it begins....[:@]

Or should I say continues.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

My guess is its a shoulder wound (no pass through means you may havestuck in the bone) Good thing you waited till this morning, you're in for a tough track, dont expect much blood, get a good tracking dog if you can...

If the wound is only in the shoulder bones, you may not have killed it. But put your time in searching for it!

Quick Reply: lost deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.