Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So whatcha think? Game over?

Old 10-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: So whatcha think? Game over?

I think I just posted that route (in light green).

Look like the right choice?
Old 10-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

The yellow line is the route I took to stand. The red House looking thing is the lady who lives there. She's my landowner's sister....and a HUGE anti-hunting animal lover. The land behind her house belongs to her and my landowner's other sister (She lives in FL). My landowner told me to hunt it.....and if anyone asked....to tell them I thought it was his land. So.....I do that. I just don't wanna take a chance and enter right by her house. So....I had to take the route I did. Otherwise.....I'd never have bumped him. If I could....I'd take the blue route in.

My landowner lives in the orange (colored on the map) house.

I see how you are you leave out the fine details! Now that i see where you were hunting, i see, i see!!
Old 10-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Was that the first chance you had to cut southto the west of her house???
Old 10-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Next to the water huh.. sounds about right.

Make sure to note the wind direction today had when you bumped him from that spot. And note the direction he ran away.. could lead to his demise later.

Don't fret Jeff. It's WAY not over.

Certain deer require certain hunting measures.

An old trick is called the bump'em and dump'em move. It works.. but can be hard to pull off.

You've already bumped him.. now wait and come back when you think he would be there.. and dump'em.

Get the same conditions and try beating him back to bed. Or setting up real close to where you bumped him. You'll have to make this judgement.

Finding his bed is a good thing.. EVERYTIME. He'll likely cycle through when conditions are the same. The key is finding ALL the conditions to why he was bedded there. Temp... water nearby.. wind direction... food sources and whether they are dropping food or not.. etc etc.

I have a similiar situation on a buck I'm hunting. A 6 yr. old who I've been waiting nearly 1 year for the right conditions to go into one of his bedrooms. I go in on Saturday morning if the weatherman is correct. We'll see.

Good luck Jeff.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Make sure to note the wind direction today had when you bumped him from that spot. And note the direction he ran away.. could lead to his demise later.
NNW...and duly noted in my log. I won't hunt that area on anything other than something westerly.

Don't fret Jeff. It's WAY not over.
Oh I don't believe that either, Mike. He's just a "little" more educated, now. he might know he's being hunted.....or he might just know he's encountered another human. He's been in close proximity to them before. My No. 1 landowner's seen him when he's been walking the road. Maybe no one has been in his bedroom.....but he HAS seen people a lot. Heck....last time I saw him (other than today) he was in the horse pasture not 200yds from the lady who owns the horses' house.

Coming clean....this deer is a 2.5 yr old. I've talked to you about him, before. he's no prze in many people's eyes.....but he's the first buck I've hunted outside the rut. I'm having a blast.

Knowing what I know now......I might try to beat him home one morning......if I get a good wind. That would be awesome. I also said I might not even shoot this deer. But if I get the opportunity.......I'll feel like I won....and I'll consider THAT an accomplishment. Maybe I'll get a good photo of him?

If he isn't what I thinkI wanna shoot.....I'm not gonna shoot him......even if I do get the opportunity. He's a cool deer, though. I named him "J.R.", today. He looks just like my '07 buck.....only younger. Honestly....if I thought he'd stick around.....I'd leave him alone. He's good practice.....if nothing else. I'm gonna hunt him likeI want him.....and see what happens.

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff,
Based on where you've seen him, I think his bed may be as I suspected south of where you're thinking.... The RED/BLACK markings would be where I'd expect him to be bedding, which if that is the case, either way, a stand where you just bumped him may work out well for you. I also agree with Dave and think an alternate entry plan is much needed. And the one you diagrammed out looks much better than the initial entry route.