Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

So whatcha think? Game over?

Old 10-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: So whatcha think? Game over?

You'll get him dont worry.... being gone might help
Old 10-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Dominant Buck

I hunt out of a climber 100% of the time. I picked a tree, prior to the opener not 30 yds from where I bumped him, today. I've got a glow tack trail right to where he was bedding. Funny, huh?

Anyways....I got a good look at him, today.....(he sure is a nimle little minx, though). He's not as big as I thought he was. He "might" go 90"....and then again maybe I didn't see all of him. Doesn't matter.....if I get him under my stand and decide to pass.....I win. He's the only one I know to target.

I'll be back in a week (10th or 11th????)...and I'll get back in there when I get a good wind. I might sit a few mornings behind the horse pasture......JUST to get a better idea of whether or not he's traveling home from the N.

Thanks for the vote of confidence PT. It's a game to me....but he don't know he's playing.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

What were you doing at the blue dot!!??? Your stands are way away from there!! I think you are ok if you dont do it again, IMO...
Old 10-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Dominant Buck

The yellow line is the route I took to stand. The red House looking thing is the lady who lives there. She's my landowner's sister....and a HUGE anti-hunting animal lover. The land behind her house belongs to her and my landowner's other sister (She lives in FL). My landowner told me to hunt it.....and if anyone asked....to tell them I thought it was his land. So.....I do that. I just don't wanna take a chance and enter right by her house. So....I had to take the route I did. Otherwise.....I'd never have bumped him. If I could....I'd take the blue route in.

My landowner lives in the orange (colored on the map) house.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did ya check out anything behind the landowners house today?
Old 10-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff,
Are you sure he's bedding where the green dot is??? Just looking at the aerial, without having a topo to correlate, I might wonder if he's bedding a little further south than you're thinking. Is that a ridge running N to S that the line to the LEFT in the pic is going along from the GREEN dot just ESE??? If so, I'm willing to bet based on the aerial and the places you've seen him that he's bedding just a touch further south. 90"??? I know you're hunting for a MATURE deer, not a TROPHY, but I had a nice little 115-ish 9-pt that visited me several times last year that I'm hoping grew into his daddy this year, but if not, I'm gonna try to put my buddy on him. Reading that 90" thing almost makes me feel guilty. Either way, good luck with him, and I think as someone else said, I might put a stand right where you bumped him most recently when you get back and see what happens. Also, I'm not sure what you use for scents, but try a little buck urine for your cover, rather than doe urine, it may peak his interest more than you'd imagine. You've got a LOT OF TIME, be patient and hunt SMART!!!!

Now, reading your last post, and seeing that map and how you were entering when you bumped him helps me a bit more, did you bump him in the PM or AM??? If PM, I believe he's definitely bedding SOUTH of where you're thinking he's bedding.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Did ya check out anything behind the landowners house today?
Actually I did.....going by in the near darkness.....and let's just say I'll be in there, soon. It's thick as thieves in there....and I bumped a couple deer in the field, leaving. It was almost dark.....and they bolted on my sound. I don't "think" they saw me. If they did......they did.

Jeff,
Are you sure he's bedding where the green dot is???
Nope. Just an educated guess.

I'll hunt him in that spot in the AM. Here's the top of the area.....with the same blue and green dots noted.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Dominant Buck

I think you're putting too much on the bedding area being where you think it is. If deer are unpressured they'll hang a lot closer to the fields and food sources than you think. I think you're screwing up a lot of country getting to your stand. You're bumping deer you don't even know about. After a couple trips they'll have you pegged pretty well. Walk in from the fields or something else. You're just messing up a lot of woods the way you're going. Park on the side of the road and walk in or something, but dang, zig zagging all over the country is just asking for a screw up. What time of day was this you ran into the deer?
Old 10-01-2008, 08:33 PM
Dominant Buck

David....I stated WHY I went in the way I did, earlier. It's either go in that way......or risk not being able to hunt there, at all.

I "could" go in this way......and I will, come to think of it.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Well rather than screw up the woods, I'd walk in from the land owners house.

Quick Reply: So whatcha think? Game over?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.