Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Binos question.....

Old 10-01-2008, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Binos question.....

I don't use them. Maybe I should. The less I bring in the woods the better. One of the reasons I started bowhunting was to get away from the guns, the scopes, etc. I just like to hunt with my own eyes.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use mine all of the time, i cannot think of a negative.....they are one of my personnal necessities.. speaking of which I need a pair in my pack, one pair is in the truck and one in the car! Thanks for posting this!
Old 10-01-2008, 06:19 PM
Fork Horn

Always have them with me, but hardly ever use them. Have come in handy a couple times though.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:37 PM
Dominant Buck

Here ya go, Schultzy. Crooked creek (I think) harness

Old 10-01-2008, 11:43 PM
Fork Horn

I just got my first pair of binos for my belated birthday present this year. I plan on bringing them every time I hit the stand this year. They are the Nikon Action 8 x 40. They are very clear. They don't have too bad of a price tag on them either.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

I feel absolutely naked without them in a treestand........I mean just completely lost.
I could not agree more. Binoculars are as important to me as my bow. Actually those two pieces of equipment are what I obsess more about than anything else I own. You can call them my "hobbies" if you like but they are much more than that.

Truthfully, I cannot think why anyone would not take a good set of binoculars out with them hunting. Back "in the day" I packed those useless little Bushnell/Tasco/Simmons 8x21s that were always on sale at x-mart for $10. I packed them just because folks said I needed to have a pair of binos with me for hunting. But I never used them. About six or seven years ago I bought a set of the Nikon Monarchs and saw what a huge difference a decent pair of binoculars can provide. I have since spent more money on a more expensive pair as I find that I use them for more than just looking at game. Best money I have ever spent.

Like the rest of the guys I use one of those binocular harnesses most of the time but, depending on the weight of the binocular, I might also use just the neckstrap. As Matt made reference to I would still go with a binocular in the 5 mm exit pupil range (8x42, 7x35, 10x50) though some folks feel very comfortable witha slightly smaller exit 4 mm exit pupil(8x32 or 10x42). Whatever you do don't be afraid to buy the best you can afford. Up to about $400 or $500 the average person will really see improvements in optical quality based on how much you spend. Once you start spending more than that the optical improvements (or durability) are still there but they are not as noticeable.

Good thread GMMAT.