Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Close to being fully Schultzified!

Old 10-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Close to being fully Schultzified!

Thanks for the information on sharpening the blades. I am going to try and get something tomorrow and try it out. I was using new arrows today as well, and all of my shots were really good from left to right....they varied up and down a little based on weight....but three different heads I shot today flew the same from side to side, just a little different vertically. I would say things are tuned up!
Old 10-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: DannyD

Man, i was thinking if you could get those things razor sharp, given that angle, the penetration would be incredible even out of the lightest bow
I've always gotten great penetration with my Snuffers. I'm pulling 73lbs back with my recurve. Allot of my kills have been pass throughs. As for taking ribs out, It's never been an issue. My biggest bear to date I shot with a Snuffer. I hit the ribs square going In and out and the arrow passed all the way through busting both ribs In half. That bear weighed 325lbs dressed, he had some big ribs on him. For the people shooting compounds you should get excellent penetration. After I'm done sharpening the Snuffer I'll put It on an arrow and spin test It on my finger nail. Be careful when doing this being It will spin a hole right Into your finger nail from just the weight of the arrow when spinning it.

As for a light draw weight compound I'm not 100% sure how these Snuffers will penetrate. I think they would be alright but I can't say for sure. After all these are 3 blade BH's and they do have a pretty big cutting diameter (1 4/16). My Sister In law Is using these Snuffers this year and she's pulling 40lbs back with her PSE compound. It should be Interesting to see what she gets for penetration. My guess Is that she will get good penetration being the way these Snuffers are designed with a cut on contact point/tip on them. Time will tell I hope. I'll let you all know what the penetration was If she gets a deer.
I got an update on these 125 grain 3 blade Snuffers. My buddy's g/f shot a deer tonight using a 125 grain 3 blade Snuffer. She was pulling 38lbs back with her Bowtech (Diamond) and she got a complete pass through. Blood trail rocked up until the rain hit, luckily It didn't go far. She hit one lung and the liver. Her arrow busted one rib In half and nicked the other one. The reason I'm posting this Is I wasn't sure what the out come would be for someone shooting a light draw weight compound shooting these Snuffers. Arrow penetration was In question, not anymore!!
Old 10-12-2008, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Schultzy. I am still wanting to use those heads this year. They didn't arrive in time for the season to get em razor sharp so I didn't even put em on the end of my arrows. I am hoping by later this month that the Snuffers will be operational! They shot well out of my bow and I am excited to use them.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I got a carbid sharpener (I know Shultzy, not the croc sticks)....I worked each broadhead for what seemed forever to get em "sharp". My daughter came out in the garage when I was sharpening one of them and I didn't focus...the broadhead slipped and hit my hand and cut my finger up pretty good in a hurry. I am gonna start shooting them in tomorrow.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Be careful there Brett! Good to hear you found another way to sharpen these heads, I'll have to remember that.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Make sure you put some sort of coating on the heads, like vasoline, otherwise they WILL rust!
Old 10-12-2008, 04:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

Make sure you put some sort of coating on the heads, like vasoline, otherwise they WILL rust!
You got that right Joe! Make sure you put It on a couple times through out the season, specially the arrow your always taking out and putting In, stuff rubs off.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did not know that about the Vaseline..thanks guys. I will do it tomorrow.