Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Close to being fully Schultzified!

Old 10-01-2008, 11:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Close to being fully Schultzified!

ORIGINAL: DannyD

Man, i was thinking if you could get those things razor sharp, given that angle, the penetration would be incredible even out of the lightest bow
I've always gotten great penetration with my Snuffers. I'm pulling 73lbs back with my recurve. Allot of my kills have been pass throughs. As for taking ribs out, It's never been an issue. My biggest bear to date I shot with a Snuffer. I hit the ribs square going In and out and the arrow passed all the way through busting both ribs In half. That bear weighed 325lbs dressed, he had some big ribs on him. For the people shooting compounds you should get excellent penetration. After I'm done sharpening the Snuffer I'll put It on an arrow and spin test It on my finger nail. Be careful when doing this being It will spin a hole right Into your finger nail from just the weight of the arrow when spinning it.

As for a light draw weight compound I'm not 100% sure how these Snuffers will penetrate. I think they would be alright but I can't say for sure. After all these are 3 blade BH's and they do have a pretty big cutting diameter (1 4/16). My Sister In law Is using these Snuffers this year and she's pulling 40lbs back with her PSE compound. It should be Interesting to see what she gets for penetration. My guess Is that she will get good penetration being the way these Snuffers are designed with a cut on contact point/tip on them. Time will tell I hope. I'll let you all know what the penetration was If she gets a deer.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well did a test run on my break from work....the Snuffers and my G5's shot almost identical at 25 even though the Snuffers are 25 grains heavier...at around 25 I started to notice some drop in the 125 Snuffers as compared to the G5's...at 30 yards, they were shooting about 2.5-3 inches lower than the G5's. I am going to buy a sharpener tomorrow and work on them on my off day. I won't shoot them at any animal until I am 100% satisfied with their sharpness. I may not be able to use them by Saturday but it will be something fun to work on the next couple of days. They are sweet...they are monster big!
Old 10-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have the 150gr screw ins downstairs right now for my Recurve. 1 5/16" diameter.

Hey Shultz, what math class did you have in high school? LOL 1 4/16" is 1 1/4" to most people.

I don't have the hand for the magic crock sticks like Shultzy has so I got rid of that factory 30 degree bevel altogether and dropped the angle down to 18" like a hunting knife.
I'm using this file system and it works pretty darn good. In fact now that you mention it I want to go and finish my other while I'm thinking of it.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=57&s=23&p=269&i=4238
Old 10-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: DannyD

Man, i was thinking if you could get those things razor sharp, given that angle, the penetration would be incredible even out of the lightest bow
I've always gotten great penetration with my Snuffers. I'm pulling 73lbs back with my recurve. Allot of my kills have been pass throughs. As for taking ribs out, It's never been an issue. My biggest bear to date I shot with a Snuffer. I hit the ribs square going In and out and the arrow passed all the way through busting both ribs In half. That bear weighed 325lbs dressed, he had some big ribs on him. For the people shooting compounds you should get excellent penetration. After I'm done sharpening the Snuffer I'll put It on an arrow and spin test It on my finger nail. Be careful when doing this being It will spin a hole right Into your finger nail from just the weight of the arrow when spinning it.

As for a light draw weight compound I'm not 100% sure how these Snuffers will penetrate. I think they would be alright but I can't say for sure. After all these are 3 blade BH's and they do have a pretty big cutting diameter (1 4/16). My Sister In law Is using these Snuffers this year and she's pulling 40lbs back with her PSE compound. It should be Interesting to see what she gets for penetration. My guess Is that she will get good penetration being the way these Snuffers are designed with a cut on contact point/tip on them. Time will tell I hope. I'll let you all know what the penetration was If she gets a deer.
I've been using the 4 blade stingers and they are very sharp right out of the box. I've hit 4 deer with them and all have been passthroughs. Looking at the Snuffers i would say thay are a bit longer and have an even better angle on them. Just guessing though from the picture. Looking forward to hearing about the results. Thanks

Might be nice to try them . I'd like to start shooting a slightly higher FOC anyway. Provided the spine will still be OK with my current arrows and set up, I might give em' a go next season
Old 10-01-2008, 02:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

I have the 150gr screw ins downstairs right now for my Recurve. 1 5/16" diameter.

Hey Shultz, what math class did you have in high school? LOL 1 4/16" is 1 1/4" to most people.

I don't have the hand for the magic crock sticks like Shultzy has so I got rid of that factory 30 degree bevel altogether and dropped the angle down to 18" like a hunting knife.
I'm using this file system and it works pretty darn good. In fact now that you mention it I want to go and finish my other while I'm thinking of it.

Yep, brain fart there Matt!![&:] All I got on my mind lately Is bear. When measuring a bears skull there measured In 16's. Thanks for catching that, my bad!

Question for ya Matt- By going to the 18 degree angle wouldn't the blades be thinner?
Old 10-01-2008, 02:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, brain fart there Matt!![&:] All I got on my mind lately Is bear. When measuring a bears skull there measured In 16's. Thanks for catching that, my bad!

Question for ya Matt- By going to the 18 degree angle wouldn't the blades be thinner?
All it does it flatten out the beveled part of the blade edge.......rather than that steep almost blocky 30 degree angle like a cleaver it shallows it out more like a conventional broadhead blade.
They actually lose about 5grs in the process cutting the new bevel but it gets that angle much more knifelike.
I just got done doing 4 of them and they are so wicked I'm seriously thinking about tuning my longbow to them quick. [:-]
Not sure.........I have alot of energy with 57# and my long 30.5" draw to the back of the riser.

I'll use them for sure out of the BW recurve at 61-62# and my draw length but Ithink I might stick to my guns and use the razor sharp Magnus Stinger 2 blade heads I have ready to go for saturday.

Man if I stick even a small doe with my longbow I'm gonna be PUMPED!!!
Old 10-01-2008, 02:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

All it does it flatten out the beveled part of the blade edge.......rather than that steep almost blocky 30 degree angle like a cleaver it shallows it out more like a conventional broadhead blade.
They actually lose about 5grs in the process cutting the new bevel but it gets that angle much more knifelike.
I just got done doing 4 of them and they are so wicked I'm seriously thinking about tuning my longbow to them quick. [:-]
Not sure.........I have alot of energy with 57# and my long 30.5" draw to the back of the riser.

I'll use them for sure out of the BW recurve at 61-62# and my draw length but Ithink I might stick to my guns and use the razor sharp Magnus Stinger 2 blade heads I have ready to go for saturday.

Gotch ya!! Good luck this weekend!
Old 10-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Me too! All I have killed with trad gear is a feral hog last year and that had me hopping up and down like a madman! I'll be hunting with the longbow again this weekend and I'd be elated to kill a doe!
Old 10-01-2008, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dang! With my 55# longbow, I'm going to have to stick to the 2 blade Stingers. It's all good though; my Stingers will deflate a pair of lungs just fine.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

Dang! With my 55# longbow, I'm going to have to stick to the 2 blade Stingers. It's all good though; my Stingers will deflate a pair of lungs just fine.
My longbow is 55# and I think the Snuffers will do just fine! BTW, I have another place to hunt pigs if you are still interested one day.

Quick Reply: Close to being fully Schultzified!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.