Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Real quick....Where to hunt

Old 09-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Real quick....Where to hunt

Yep. But this "playing the wind" **** is getting to me in a BAD way. I'm gonna have to hunt the SAME woodlot I've hunted the last two mornings......just because I don't have anywhere else to hunt on a N wind. Winds forecast from the NW, tomorrow AM.....AGAIN.

Life was SO much easier when I "forgot the wind....and just hunted".....lol.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

You don't have ANYWHERE else looking at all those woodlots that you can try on N wind?
You're kidding right?

For the record I wouldn't have picked where you sat tonight had I seen the terrain. LOL
Think security type cover with good trails through them to those fields, bucks aren't that dumb. They're probably bedding in the same type of cover they will use to actually enter any remaining food fields.

If you're not findning bucks right now it's probably because they're where you don't want to go. That or they're just snoozing til' dark. LOL

Old 09-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

Just a question. If you are trying to catch them as they head to the field wouldn't #2 be better for they would be coming from the S-SW as the wind was blowing that way. I see they could also be coming from N to S, but there's more cover to the S for the deer to move in relation to #1 correct? Wouldn't #2 work (course not see what is to the right of #2 out of picture) but would it not provide more cover for the deer to move but also keep you down wind of them too? Sorry I am trying to learn as much as possible for this is the first season I will be hunting deer.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Dominant Buck

If you're not findning bucks right now it's probably because they're where you don't want to go.
I'm trying to pay the wind as best I can. I thought that little spot tonight might be a spot they'd use to get from woodlot to thicket....or vice versa. I think they're feeding on the acorns....so I thought I might catch one coming from the N to the S woodlot. I figured they'd cross through there.....rather than the open field.

I'll go ANYWHERE. You tell me where YOU would hunt tomorrow in a NW wind. I thought about this corner.....but my scent would be blowing across the bean field.....and I'd have to go through the entire woodlot (entering from the N) if I wen tin there.....to keep from blowing everything out of the bean field.

Where would you go?

Old 09-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Is there anything left to eat in the fields?
Old 09-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Yep. But this "playing the wind" **** is getting to me in a BAD way. I'm gonna have to hunt the SAME woodlot I've hunted the last two mornings......just because I don't have anywhere else to hunt on a N wind. Winds forecast from the NW, tomorrow AM.....AGAIN.

Life was SO much easier when I "forgot the wind....and just hunted".....lol.

As successful as you have been, maybe they like the way you smell ..[8D]
Old 09-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Dominant Buck

The fieds have really green soy beans. I thought they were completely off of them....but the only time I sat the stand depicted.....I had all of the deer I saw staging and going into the bean field, that evening (Saturday).

So yeah....they're still on them, too.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Then you need to come in somewhere BEHIND them back into the cover.......not near the fields, They could be leaving the fields early and you'll just hear footsteps going by if you get too close.

Think about what you see as the most likely bedding cover for them........that might also allow them to much a couple white oak acorns coming back from the beans. Get tight to that bedding cover way off the fields on the most likely looking trail..........on the S side of it

Might be tough to find in the dark though.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Matt:

You know the property line on the W side of the road. I'm RIGHT on it in that aerial where I show the stand I sat in Saturday.

I could sit in the lower end of that woodlot you and Rob and I hunted....and I've got tacks to a tree, there. I sat there last night......NADA.

Any ideas on the new land? You know most of the old land.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

You know the property line on the W side of the road. I'm RIGHT on it in that aerial where I show the stand I sat in Saturday.
Yeah you're screwed.

Quick Reply: Real quick....Where to hunt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.