Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are they really that smart: spinoff

Old 09-30-2008, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Are they really that smart: spinoff

Tread in title got me thinking...

If we kill a mature buck during the rut, how much easier is the feat, and if so how much of the accomplishment does it diminish(if any)from the kill -vs- if we were to kill him far outside of the rut when he'd not on drugs?

As I mentioned in thread in title, I have a p&y and a near p&y hanging on the wall but they were both taken during the peak of the rut when they were doped up. I'd like to someday be able to take one when he aint "sniffin" because I think I would personally have a greater sense of accomplishment if I did.

Your thoughts...
Old 09-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Are they really that smart: spinoff

Agree, totally (and both my bucks on the wall were taken while they were chasing).

The guys who hunt bucks onthei turf.......outside the rut....and are successful, consistantly.....have my respect.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:39 AM
Typical Buck

I have never felt that way.

I have gone through way more years without tagging a mature buck than the times I have been able toget one...so it must not be that easy.

That being said...my best buck to date was taken on Oct 4th...2nd best was Nov 25...3rd was Nov 7.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:36 PM

I wouldn't care if he is chasin or not. A trophy buck is a trophy buck regardless. I would be proud to hang him on my wall.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:02 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-30-2008, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot a big one while hes on a summer feedin pattern when hes predictable?

Shoot one when hes all dopped up on hott women?

Shoot one one a post rut food source when he is, again, predictable?

Its all relative, shooting a mature buck is an accomplishment to me no matter what the circumstances.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

It is possible to really split hairs with this kind of conversation.Killing a mature buck with archery equipment is a respectable feat regardless of what phase of the season it happens in.No doubt you will get away with more mistakes when they are preoccupied to the degree they are when chasing or defense of territory but even with that they don't come easy.
I think having an easier time of it once in a while is the way the hunting god's keep us coming back for more!
Old 09-30-2008, 06:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

If it weren't for the rut, some bucks would never be seen let alone shot.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

If it weren't for the rut, some bucks would never be seen let alone shot.
Exactly my thought, thus the post.

Sorry to the rest of you guys and I don't mean this in any negative way but I think Rob and especially Jeff are the only guys who totally get what I'm saying. What I'm not saying is that a mature buck is easy to kill duringthe rut. I'm saying he is justeasier to kill when he's chasing under the influence. Because of that I think it would be a bigger feat to take him when he's not all doped up. That, is future goal of mine.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

So a lesser buck out of the "rut" would be more of a trophy than a P&Y during the rut?

Valid question given your hypothesis.

Quick Reply: Are they really that smart: spinoff

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.