Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are they really that smart: spinoff

Old 09-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Are they really that smart: spinoff

Are you kidding me?

Seeing them in the rut and bow killing them in the rut is two distinct different things.

I have seen more mature bucks during the rut but I have killed more mature bucks post rut.

I can think of three occasions in the last several years where I had definitemature shooter bucks chasing does and run within 10 yards of my stand and I couldn't get them to stop long enough to get a shot.

On all three occasions that come to mind I literally yelled and waved my arms to try get them to stop. Two of them stopped briefly to look my way after they had already blown by my stand and then went right back after the doe and the third one..... he may still be chasing that doe as far as I know.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

What if someone shot a deer that somehow had learned to climb trees but was only 12.2345 lbs? Would that be a trophy? Mind you, I am talking about this creature being taken during the rut, when it is horny and jumping around trees, finding all the nice sap reservoirs....trophy?
Old 09-30-2008, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

So a lesser buck out of the "rut" would be more of a trophy than a P&Y during the rut?

Valid question given your hypothesis.

I would rather have a 115" 3.5yr old on his terms than a 125" 4.5yr old on mine.

ORIGINAL: jackflap

Are you kidding me?

Seeing them in the rut and bow killing them in the rut is two distinct different things.

I have seen more mature bucks during the rut but I have killed more mature bucks post rut.
Nope I'm not kidding you.

Yes, seeing them in rut and killing them in rut are two very distinct things. It is why I used "killing" and never mentioned anything about seeing as to not confuse anyone.

If I were you, I'd put in my vacation time for post rut.

For me personally, I believe that I would be more proud of my kill if it were outside of the rut. I hope nobody takes offense to that. Afterall, I did use words and phrases like personally and for me.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

What if someone shot a deer that somehow had learned to climb trees but was only 12.2345 lbs? Would that be a trophy? Mind you, I am talking about this creature being taken during the rut, when it is horny and jumping around trees, finding all the nice sap reservoirs....trophy?
I think some of you might be complicating a simple thing. I believe for good reason (those reasons being my guys on the wall) that bucks are more vulnerable thus are easier to kill during the rut. That's all... but that's just my opinion.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hoytail, I am just playing around. I have found that shooting spooky does can be very very difficult, ALL the time. Some of them are dang near impossible to shoot because they are so wary.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:41 PM
Typical Buck

If I were you, I'd put in my vacation time for post rut.

For me personally, I believe that I would be more proud of my kill if it were outside of the rut. I hope nobody takes offense to that. Afterall, I did use words and phrases like personally and for me.
Ahhh, but watching the chaseand hoping they come within bow range and then hoping you can get the sucker to stop in a shooting lane., and that I can then make the shot before he takes off again......for me it doesn't get any better than this. By hunting every chance I get during the rut, I usually get to observe 3 or 4 bonafide chases, sometimes fewer and certainly not always involving a mature deer.Its not all about the kill, if it was I would just gun hunt as we can use our choice of weapon for 2 or our 3 month season.

Nope, at least for me, I am certainly not offended. Afterall, its just the internet. Idon't see it the same way but that doesn't mean I am right and you are wrong, as there is not a "correct' answer, just different.