Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Here he is

Old 09-29-2008, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Here he is

Well teammates and others I would like first apologize for my late posting of any pictures. You have no idea what I went through starting with Saturday morning and the opening of Ohio’s bow season. I woke up at 430 am Saturday morning with a twinkle in my eye and eager to get back on the stand. My brother in law and I had a half hour drive to our normal hunting area and the whole time I was so excited I could barely contain myself. We get there and I get my stuff ready as does my brother in law and we separate to our stand placements by giving the fist tap. We had some problems earlier in the year with some kids damaging one of our stands and I was thinking this would really suck if they hit my stand. As luck would have it I get to my stand and it is missing two climbing sticks and the third is bent straight up so I could not get in it. I sit there about 15 minutes thinking what I can do so I head to another location. As I get ready to cross the creek to get to the other stand I noticed it is blocked by a huge tree so that is out of the question and I head back to the truck. I am locked out of the truck so I lay on the ground thinking this is how my season is going to start out, pity party in my head. About 9 my brother in law calls me on the radio and I tell him the entire morning’s events and he can’t believe I didn’t sit on the ground somewhere. We end our conversation and I doze off until he calls me again at 945 am telling me there are some does by the truck just over the embankment. I head down that way and stand there until I see a doe about 30 yards away moving right towards me. She gets to 20 yards away and I crack her at 1010 am from the ground with no mask and looking like a wreck. Easy recovery and I clean her out, check her in and she is delivered to the butcher.
Now to the real story! Saturday evening around 345 pm my brother in law takes me to a ladder stand in the new property we just got this year. I have never been there and have nothing but pictures over the past month or so and they are very nice, as I shared with you all. I get in there and set about 415 and within 15 minutes I see a button buck running right at me and he beds right underneath my stand. Ten or 15 minutes later a big doe and two yearlings come right at me and walk past me at 20 yards. Ten or 15 minutes later another button buck comes right past my stand calling for his mother, mind you the other button is under my stand still. A couple of minutes later I starting coughing and the button under me gets up and beds down 40 yards away. So from 5 to 630 nothing is going on and I am getting the pity party starting again in my head. I look to my left about 50 yards away and I see a huge doe moving by but she never comes into range. Ten minutes after her on the same trail a pie ball goes by and I am thinking this sucks. At 655 pm out of no where I spot this buck about 40 yards way from me to my 1 o’clock moving towards me like he is on a mission and its November. He gets about 15 yards away from my stand and he may continue down the same path behind some thick stuff but all of a sudden he makes a right turns walks broadside dead in front of me at 20 yards and I crack him. All I knew he is nice and his rack is chocolate brown. He ran faster than any deer I had ever seen after they were shot and I knew I hit him because there is nothing like that sound when the arrow hits a deer. I get down and look for my arrow and I could barely control myself. I didnt find my arrow and I look at the path where he ran and about 10 yards away from where I thought I shot him there is blood everywhere. It is high on the weeds and trees so I know I got him good. I call my brother in law to come and help me look for this deer. He gets there about 20 minutes later and we start tracking and it was easy. The only thing is he ran farther away from the truck in some of the nastiest thickest stuff you could imagine. All I kept thinking was god I hope he was as good as I thought. When I found him I couldn’t see his rack and was thinking this is crazy. His head was in a hole covered by thick weeds so my brother in law picks his head up and he starts going crazy “You shot the junkie 8, you shot the junkie 8”! He is hugging me and giving me high fives, I think he was more excited than I was. We named him the “Junkie 8” because he has a little kicker off of his brow tine. His body was so big and I was thinking how the hell are we going to get him out of here. My brother in law didn’t want to gut him out because his body was huge so we dragged him for almost two hours out of the thickest nastiest stuff you could imagine. We took him to weigh him in and he was 280 on the hoof so we packed him full of ice for the night. We get home around midnight and I head to bed because I am so tired but the madness doesn’t end! We get up and start calling butchers and check in stations, turns out the nearest check in station doesn’t open till noon and all the butchers in a 60 mile radius are closed on Sunday. So in a pinch my brother in law calls his taxidermist and she says bring him over so she can cape him out and we all can butcher him. We get done yesterday afternoon around 430 pm and make it back to his place after cleaning the truck and stuff around 530. I brought my wife and mother in law down with me because my brother in laws wife is due with child around Christmas so they wanted to get some things in order. My wife comes down with a serious case of the flu and throwing up all day Sunday and calls off today from work. So to end the night I got home last night around 1030 and tried to get on the site to post these pictures but for some reason it wouldn’t let me sign on the site. Anyways, I have the pictures for the contest being sent soon by my brother in law because we have them on the cam corder and they need to be transferred over to a disk and downloaded. I should have them in the next 24 hours and when I get them I will post them on the score sheet page along with the picture of me with my doe. Now get out there and CRUSH some monsters………Rob

141 1/8th typical
142 7/8ths non typical with the kicker off of the brow!

Old 09-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Here he is

Congrats!!!
Old 09-29-2008, 06:52 PM
Typical Buck

Wow great buck! A BIG CONGRATS to you!
Old 09-29-2008, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

nice. what the estimated age? 3?
Old 09-29-2008, 06:54 PM

Nice buck and cool story!
Old 09-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

A beautiful buck in every sense....

All in all looks like it turned out to be a great day for you. No pity party sympathy from me!

Congrats, GREAT deer.
Boone & Crockett

Awesome buck mahoning, get him entered, (of course with the bow in the pic right?).

Congratulations.

And I think I would be hunting down some kids!
Old 09-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great story and awesome buck. Congrats!!
Old 09-29-2008, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

great buck! congrats

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.