Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are you going to ????

Old 09-29-2008, 03:20 PM

Default Are you going to ????

kill more deer and eat more deer meat this year because of the recent shake up in the economy?? Are you fearing an economic melt down so much that we may have to actually live off of what we kill??
Old 09-29-2008, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are you going to ????

I'm not going to eat any MORE deer than I already do.

In my house we ONLY eat venison anyway. No beef.. very little pork (bacon) and some chicken. We also only have 2 mouths to feed between my wife and I.

We cosume about 2 good sized midwestern whitetails per year.

I haven't bought beef or Pork in SO long.. I don't even know how much they cost.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will probably end up with more deer in the freezer than normal, mostly because my sons are both hunting this year. If we havea good season, I may end up storing some in my parents freezer. I still eat store bought meat, but we do eat about 1-2 deer per year.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will be shooting more does if I get a chance this year....We are not starving but I figure if I can eat more venison, then that will be less money we spend on meat as a family.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

we eat a lot of deer. We buy bacon and chicken. This year we will probably eat about 6. maybe 8. we always eat as many as we get tho. And we do save everything, sometimes when I tell people that they say, well you only save the good cuts...negative haha, we cut the good cuts and the rest goes into burger, sausage or deer sticks. them bones are clean when we are done.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's more expensive for me to shoot deer, but I don't care. Is the stock market down or something?
Old 09-29-2008, 05:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

The past several years I only take one buck. That's all the tags I had as I didn't buy doe tags. They didn't need taken in my honey hole.

Last year with my injury. Matt (Rick James) offered me a ground blind and a shot at a mature doe which I gladly appreciated and took up. We hunted and I arrowed the exact doe he wanted me to target with him looking over my shoulder. Both that doe and the buck I took were made into bologna.

This year, I again Matt offered me a hunt as well as twildasin. I have 2 doe tags and my buck in PA. I also have a IL buck tag and probably will be picking up a doe tag. I have 6 tags for NC which I didn't fill any.

So in short, I'm probably going to take several more deer this year than I have in the past, at least that's my goal. I usually only make bologna as I'm the only one in my household who eats steaks or venison meat in general. My wife however does eat the bologna so that is what I make.

If I want a steak, she buys me Porterhouses and the like. I love beef, pork, chicken and more. She keeps me stocked so this year, along with the bologna I'm going to have my mother can some venison. I love canned venison and it's been years since I've had it. I make BBQ out of it and it's to die for. MMMMmmmmm The season starts this Sat.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

Nope, but if it comes to it...I know where they live.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've never had to buy beef...ever. I buy some bacon & porkchops, but everything else is deer meat. I always kill more than we can eat (2 person household) and give the rest to my family, friends& HSH.