Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

EAB debate?

Old 09-26-2008, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default EAB debate?

I dont know if other states have instituted Earn a buck regs. but the area of Wisconsin I bow hunt has been an EAB unit for 4 of the last 5 years. At first I was supportive of the regs because it would not be uncommon to see over ten does in an afternoon of bow hunting and over thirty deer opening day of gun season. Pretty much all these deer would be does with maybe one or two 1.5 year old bucks and no mature deer.

Since then most hunters in my area agree that one or two deer is a good afternoon, and I personally saw three mature deer bowhunting last year, but way less deer overall. I am just wondering if EAB can be taken too far by the DNR. I cant remember the exact number but the QDM website only suggests taking a few does for every couple hundred acres, if you have excellent deer habitat. My in-laws pack 12 people onto 80 acres for shotgun hunting (not uncommon around here) , if they all shot a doe I think the herd would be decimated. What do you guys think can EAB go to far in thinning deer numbers?
Old 09-26-2008, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: EAB debate?

I know that where I have hunted in NJ it has been EAB as long as I've hunted it. The first couple of years it was as simple as a morning and evening sit and you'd have your doe. Now, even if you've done your homework you have to work harder to get that doe. It's far from impossible, but you are earning your buck tag more than you were in the past. I don't think they have gone too far, but I do see your point.

The example you give of 12 guys in 80 acres with EAB is a good one of how it could hurt thehunting on a local level pretty severely, but not necessarily hurt the statewide herd.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

The other problem is that with guys hunting public land,from what I've heard there are virtually no deer left on publicspots while those with private landhave gone to public ground to get there doe so they are not killing "their" does. This seems unfair and almost privatises the deer herd.

Wouldn't an antler restriction get more people thinking about shooting doesfor the venison without the drastic results EAB has created?
Old 09-26-2008, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

NJ has had the EAB in use for roughly 12 years or more, at first it was good, but after all this time the herd is hurting. EAB is a waste
Old 09-26-2008, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

Anyone who will let me shoot does, I will come there and get them for you. Is it legal for us to party hunt and me to fill your doe tag, with you tagging it to earn your buck? Let me at them. I'll be there when you need me and I won't eat much. lol. But honestly if someone does need some does - whoa, does need some does - taken out, I am the man for the job. You may have heard by sob story before about getting one deer tag total despite and over population of deer in your state. Sign me up, let me at em. This is a good problem to have.

Signed,
Longing for Does in Minnesota
Old 09-26-2008, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

It seems with every type of management a states DNR sets up there are negative effects to go along with the positive.

I always leaned towards favoring EAB and being against AR's, but I understand the arguments from both sides.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

BTW....Illinois does not employ either of these stratagies. Our only tool is a limit of 2 bucks a year per hunter with any weapon during the season and using left over firearm tags during a late season anterless only season.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

this is the first year in our zone for EAB. im in 73B in Wisconsin. lets see if it works
Old 09-26-2008, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

EAB isn't hurting the doe population or the heard. Its the AG tags. Some farmers will shoot over 100+ does in a year. MarquetteMagnum knows because he participates in it. Any ways Im fortunate to have property in both zones so it doesn't bother me to much.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

i really dont mind it at all it is a chance to get meat in the freezer for me and it gets the first one out of the way for the year...and i have never had a problem shooting a doe at all so no i really dont mind it at all
[align=left] [/align]