Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Early season scrape hunting/scouting trip---dumb?

Old 09-26-2008, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Early season scrape hunting/scouting trip---dumb?

I have been reading alot over the last year about finding large early season scrapes and then hunting them the first few days of season. I have a question for you all, we are one week out of our hunting season.I have not stepped foot into my spots for over 2.5 months. It has been raining like crazy for 2 days with 10-15 mph winds...do you think it would be ok to slip in to 3-4 of my areas and speed scout for potentially large early season scrapes? It is supposed to rain again tomorrow and the ground is completely saturated. Of course, it would be mid-day and I would be as scent free as I am when hunting......just wondering if any of you have done anything similar and maybe some thoughts. Thanks all.

Brett
Old 09-26-2008, 11:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Early season scrape hunting/scouting trip---dumb?

I am no expert my any means, but if it were me, I would stay away. If anything, do your scouting on opening day, durring the afternoon.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bigdaddy--that is my deal...I want to hunt with a purpose on day 1. This rain and wind is making it miserable out there and I believe it would give me a chance to scout undetected, as compared to walking around during opening day. I want to be on the deer you know. But I hear where you are coming from, because that is what I am like, I like low key and not spoiling an area.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Brett, I used to always believe that it was best to go out and do your scouting in the rain, or right after a good rain, because the rain would mask your scent. But I have read alot of posts lately that say just the opposite, that rain will enhance your smell. Dont quote me on this, but I think it was a post that Rob made about this. Good luck in what ever you decide, and goodluck on your opening day.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

BigDaddy, excellent points. I know one of two spots that I want to hit the first afternoon of the first day.....its a toss up. I believe I am going to hunt a saddle that is right off a bedding area. I just wanted to see if something was opened up, because in January and February I found massive scrapes and just wanted to verify if something was still using them....thank you and good luck to you as well!
Old 09-26-2008, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

It kind of depends on how much pressure your area endures, but if it were me, I'd go and scout. How else are you going to learn. I think most guys are absolutely paranoid about spooking deer. My experience is that scouting haslittle effect on deer movement.
Old 09-26-2008, 03:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can't sit in a stand that I don't have confidence in...I'd go...I've killed deer many times by scouting after a morning hunt and changing positions for the afternoon hunt...Face it, you have to go into the woods to scout, can't do this at home...
Old 09-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I can take my dog with me on a walk in the woods and not mess up the deer at all.As long as your just breezing thru you will be fine.
It's also better if you DON'T try to do it in stealth mode. If your sneaking around your only gonna be fooling yourself.

I don't do it but there are lots of guys that move their stands and hunt them the same day and they do it effectively.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guys, thanks for the comments. If it is raining hard tomorrow, I am gonna head in scent free with rubber boots and all and speed scout 3 different saddles to see if anything has opened up such as large scrapes. Too many times over the years I have played it too cautiously the first week of the season. I need to be a little more aggressive this year without blwoing my good spots come the pre-rut. Thanks for your help.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

The reason I am thinking this is what John Eberhart says in his book......

"Just prior to season, with a scent-lok suit and rubber boots on, check your stand locations during mid-day and if you are fortunate enough to find a primary area opened up, hunt it the first day or two and then leave it alone until late October."

I have two spots that fit this....two huge scrapes about 100 yards apart that I found last year in January...they border a pine bedding area and a large field. Around those scrapes were some absolutely massive rubs as well.