Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

weather changes

Old 09-25-2008, 06:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default weather changes

last year i seem to remeber hunting in early to mid oct with 80 degrees weather and 60 at night.
This morning it is 56 next week when season starts it will be in the 40s at night 60s in the middle of the day. now i know it might hit 80s in oct but seems alot colder sooner.
i do remeber them saying something about a cold fall in june. What will the change due to the deer.
anyone else think it is colder then last year. Dam al gore and his globel warming.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: weather changes

depends on where you're at I guess
Old 09-25-2008, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know enough to answer your question, Tim, but I do know that last year when bow season opened, the highs were in the 90's and the lows were in the 70's. Scent control didn't seem to be an option because I'd be soaked in sweat by the time I got up in the tree.

The weather for the openerthis Saturday and Sunday has the highs at 80 and the lows at55. I'm no expert, but I think it'll make a significant difference in the amount of deer movement that I'll see, and maybe I won't be sitting on the stand smelling like I just finishedthree games of racquetball.

I don't know how others feel, but if we have a COLD fall and winter, I'd say that it's about time. I remember when we used to have cold winters with regular snowfall every year in this area. These days, late December is usually T-shirt weather. It just doesn't feel right to be hunting the rut in November wearing warm weather gear. Bring on the cold weather!
Old 09-25-2008, 06:59 AM

I have noticed alot more movement in the deer heards around here especially at night. The temps last year were near 90 and this week we are going to do good to stay in the 70's. Hoping the wind will die down so I can get in a stand gusts from 20 to 35 mph have kept me at the house for about the last 4 days
Old 09-25-2008, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

They usualy move more in colder temps
Old 09-25-2008, 07:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Tim:

When you see the weather changing....for the worse or the good....get in the woods in front of the change. Heavy rains forecasted? Get in front of it. When you see it's gonna slack up.....get in a tree. Heavy rains or winds will make them immobile, temporarily, but when it changes....they HAVE to get on their feet and feed. Be there.

I have my most productive sits when I follow this gameplan.

Good luck.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

A very simple rule of thumb.......'if the barometer is moving, the deer are moving'

GMMAT is right, get out there.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto...GMMAT...
Old 09-25-2008, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

The only thing that I can remember about the weather from last year, is WIND! I was so sick of the wind by the end of the season I could scream. I remember that on opening morning last year (September 13th), here in Minnesota, the temp was 32 degrees, with a ton of frost.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

ya when i was a kid it would snow and the snow would be there for two weeks. one year we missed a month of school due to snow.
ORIGINAL: LittleChief

I don't know enough to answer your question, Tim, but I do know that last year when bow season opened, the highs were in the 90's and the lows were in the 70's. Scent control didn't seem to be an option because I'd be soaked in sweat by the time I got up in the tree.

The weather for the openerthis Saturday and Sunday has the highs at 80 and the lows at55. I'm no expert, but I think it'll make a significant difference in the amount of deer movement that I'll see, and maybe I won't be sitting on the stand smelling like I just finishedthree games of racquetball.

I don't know how others feel, but if we have a COLD fall and winter, I'd say that it's about time. I remember when we used to have cold winters with regular snowfall every year in this area. These days, late December is usually T-shirt weather. It just doesn't feel right to be hunting the rut in November wearing warm weather gear. Bring on the cold weather!

Quick Reply: weather changes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.