Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lets Start a Debate.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lets Start a Debate.

PRO - fresh backstraps, baby!!
Old 09-25-2008, 11:04 AM

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

A problem we have in the area I hunt (SW MI) is hunters choosing to wait until the late season. They say they don't want to take a doe early because it will screw up their chances of getting a buck. So they pass does early, kill a buck or two, and then don't hunt the late season. It's either too cold, it's the holidays, the freezer is already full, etc. If more does were killed in the early season, I think we might actually make a dent in the overpopulated areas.
I've said it before.....You're either part of the solution....or part of the problem. I have NO issues with people who hunt bucks, exclusively...but if you're living in an a rea laden with does.....do the right thing and take your share.

If you don't have an overpopulation problem.....and you STILL take multiple does.....you're part of another problem.
If you don't have an overpopulation problem.....and you STILL take multiple does.....you're part of another problem.
Yeah there will always behunters that complain, but do nothing to help. There arehunters that concentrate on bucks until after the rut and then take their fair share of does. So it's not everyone. Most of the hunters I talk use this as an excuse. They have no intentions of shooting does. They say they will wait until the late season so everyone assumes they will do their part later. Usually doesn't happen.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

For a guy who's limited to one tag now, since 1.2 million deer aren't enough in the state ....

Pro: You have meat in the freezer and are proud of your accomplishment.

Con: You're done for the year and forced to wander around your pro-shop talking about next year and that buck while everyone is out hunting.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:45 AM
Typical Buck

1. Depending on where In the woods you shoot the doe and where she runs to can screw things up with all the intrusion. In good buck hunting area's In the woods I won't shoot a doe till late In the year otherwise I know It's going to screw up my buck hunting.
I have a good friend who manages his farm very carefully and Schultzy's responseis precisely the reason he told me why he only shoots Does late in the season. If a person had tons of land then I could see it being different, but when you are on a relatively small parcel, it doesn't take much disturbance to bump the bucks away.