Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lets Start a Debate.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:27 AM

Default RE: Lets Start a Debate.

There are no cons to shooting a doe early in the area I hunt.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:28 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

No Cons! Whack em' and Stack em'!
Old 09-25-2008, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't see any con's. I think on the pro side that you need to practice like you play i.e. shoot does. I know several guys that won't shoot does because they are holding out for a big one. More often than not these guys wind up missing or making a bad shot when they finally do get a shot at a buck. I don't want to make the term practice sound trival BUT shooting does will help you be prepared to shoot a good buck if and when one comes along. Nothing you can do while practicing truely represents shooting a deer like actually shooting a deer does. IMO that's one of the biggest pro's for shooting does. Of course all of the pro's mentioned so far are valid reason's.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:39 AM
Dominant Buck

I know several guys that won't shoot does because they are holding out for a big one. More often than not these guys wind up missing or making a bad shot when they finally do get a shot at a buck.
You ain't lying.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Con's

1. A few day period of area contamination

2. No doe to get pregnant thus losing a fawn for next year
1. Depending on where In the woods you shoot the doe and where she runs to can screw things up with all the intrusion. In good buck hunting area's In the woods I won't shoot a doe till late In the year otherwise I know It's going to screw up my buck hunting.

2. I don't go for that analogy of shooting a doe thus your taking out at least 2 deer. Where I hunt there's too many doe's that don't get bred. We need more bucks In my area to breed the doe's. So no that's not a con to me.

Edit: WHile I was typing this.....my driveway sensor went off 5 times (it's also 500' long).

Damn does!
That's nuts!!
Old 09-25-2008, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

PRO...because I normally do and it makes me feel "GREAT"
Old 09-25-2008, 08:03 AM

A problem we have in the area I hunt (SW MI) is hunters choosing to wait until the late season. They say they don't want to take a doe early because it will screw up their chances of getting a buck. So they pass does early, kill a buck or two, and then don't hunt the late season. It's either too cold, it's the holidays, the freezer is already full, etc. If more does were killed in the early season, I think we might actually make a dent in the overpopulated areas.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

PRO 1 less doe to hit with my truck...... or your truck for that matter......
Old 09-25-2008, 08:29 AM
Dominant Buck

A problem we have in the area I hunt (SW MI) is hunters choosing to wait until the late season. They say they don't want to take a doe early because it will screw up their chances of getting a buck. So they pass does early, kill a buck or two, and then don't hunt the late season. It's either too cold, it's the holidays, the freezer is already full, etc. If more does were killed in the early season, I think we might actually make a dent in the overpopulated areas.
I've said it before.....You're either part of the solution....or part of the problem. I have NO issues with people who hunt bucks, exclusively...but if you're living in an a rea laden with does.....do the right thing and take your share.

If you don't have an overpopulation problem.....and you STILL take multiple does.....you're part of another problem.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Con - If you increase the buck - to - doe ratio and increase the fighting for that Doe, will there be more injuries/deaths to bucks?
Expend more valuable energy to survive the winter, etc...
Albeit a small con, but something to consider by tossing it in the ring?

Quick Reply: Lets Start a Debate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.