Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lets Start a Debate.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lets Start a Debate.

i wish i had the kind of ratios you guys did.

Pro: definite confidence booster

CON: in the main area i hunt the bucks are currently almos outnumbering the does. if i take out to many the bucks will travel outside my area to fd does. (they probably would anyway but id like to have that initial hold during the early phases)
Old 09-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Dominant Buck

1. Every day a deer eats about 4 lbs of food (roughage weight). If I kill a doe...that's 4 more potential pounds for bucks.

2. If I kill her today...she will NOT breed, this year.

3. Better to sacrifice the death of a few than to rishk the overall health of the many.

4. less does = more competition for breeding. More competition for breeding = bucks on their feet longer during daylight hours searching for them.

5. Areas with a high density of does do NOT hold many bucks.

6. They taste good.

7. They are plentiful, here.

8. It's rumored that two of them have been molesting children in our neighborhood.

No cons, here.

I will say this.....There is ONE reason not to take a doe, here....and that's if she's in the right place at the wrong time. I'd take a doe VERY early in an evening hunt in a spot I was trying to kill a buck. I'd also take one VERY late, there (on a morning hunt). But if I'm looking for a buck.....she'll get a pass, there. I'd HATE to go stomping through a buck's bedroom looking for a doe I killed. In the above scenarios...for me to kill one....it'll have to be a slam dunk, still. Otherwise....she walks.

Edit: WHile I was typing this.....my driveway sensor went off 5 times (it's also 500' long).

Damn does!
Old 09-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats a good post Jeff, no cons here.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

cons for the rinky dink section of pa i hunt... Kill one of the very few does that come through my setups, and come rut time thats one less doe for the bucks to chase past my stand..

For example.. I have only TWO does consitently travelling past my stand setup.. so ifI shoot one, then come rut that is one less doe thats home zone is near my treestand.. and we all know the bucks go where the does do during rut..
Old 09-25-2008, 12:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

You want a CON, Ill give you a con. I can only shoot one deer! I HATE OUR DNR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
Old 09-25-2008, 12:32 AM
Fork Horn

As long as you have an alternative place to hunt on a piece of property, or even a totallylocation/county (meaning away from where you know the buck is you want to kill....like me), I think taking a doe early is best with no cons.

I won't do it in an area where I know the bucks are hanging out due to disruptingor alternating their pattern and possibly pushing the mature one out for good. Then it's back to square one...so basically I won't shoot one by my secret thicket. (Rookie51...don't give up my location) I'll go across the street or to another county to get my meat and confidence.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pro-Quick Easy Meal
Con-Losing a little one next year.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nope, no cons.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm glad I don't have a con like yours Buckrogers!! Is that one deer only either sex?? ARG...
Does that translate into a good buck to doe ratio and up your chances at a buck??
Old 09-25-2008, 07:10 AM
Dominant Buck

If it helps.....

I took 3 does out of the spot I have killed both my 8-pointers, last season.....and though I'm not proud of it....I stunk that place up, starting opening day last year, on more than one occasion.

Still.....when the rut came.....they were there (the bucks). In reality....if you're hunting a high doe density area....there's a good chance your bucks aren't using that area in the early season, anyways.

Right place......right time. Wrong place....."hardly ever" a "right time .....period.

Quick Reply: Lets Start a Debate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.