Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Too early to rattle?

Old 09-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Too early to rattle?

I don't know if it would attract any big ones, but I did see 2 1.5 year olds that were going at it for real last night. This was a no joke fight.

My buddy also so a little buck chasing a doe last night too. Something had them fired up.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:35 PM
Typical Buck

Early season fighting takes place more than one might think.....I just think it takes place in their bedrooms and we don't see it. I was hunting a ridge that I had to tip toe into due to the fact that the bedding cover laid below and watched a couple bucks, just go nuts the first week of october and would have thought it was November 1st. Hard telling, rare I think, but may happen more than we know.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:38 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Northport buckslayr

I am just starting to get into calling deer in, but most people I have talked to say all of it (grunting, bleating, rattling) should wait until at least mid-october.
Agreed from experience. Although a recent F&S article said rattling can be affective earlier (Beginning of October), I'm still afraid to try it until I know for sure it's time. Also, it's hard to believe it would draw in a mature buck so earlier when they are still bacholered up. But anything can happen. I'mstill waiting.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sometimes I don't get some of you.[8D]

Several years ago opening day of archery in PA I spotted a buck messing with some gobblers. He was a nice 11 pt, (9pt with two inch kickers off base). He was traveling with a 6 pt and they were chasing gobblers around trees. I found it comical. They were out about 100 yards or so. When the broke from the gobblers and started angling away from me I called to them. They looked, listened but was not going to come. (calling works sometimes). I called a couple more times but to no avail. They were just dis concerned about the calling. With NOTHING to lose, I grabbed my antlers and tickled them together. That buck stopped dead in his tracks, looked, turned, came straight in on a string and I dropped him in his tracks at 15 yards.

That said, I would never get too aggressive with rattling and I only use them as a very last resort. I've scared more than I've called in with rattling.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Rob. One of my local buddies (who I believe) watched a pair of 2.5 year olds go at it full bore while glassing just the day before yesterday.I don't think this is the most common time for this to be happening, but deer don't think to themselves whether it's late enough in the seasonto be kicking some other deers butt...........if they feel they need to establish their dominance on eachother, they are going to do it when opportunity presents itself.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

just my own observation... last weekend i was taking out some youth hunters and i heard 3 separate times where bucks were doing some light rattling (4 second sparing). i am going to match those sounds this weekend when we go hunting. maby twice in the morning and twice in the evening, i am sure some buck will get curious and come to at least investigate.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

i once watched my buddy beat the living crap out of his rattling antlers (3rd week of september) and a little 6 point came in from across a field. that little buck was fired up, he was grunting with almost every step. my buddy proceeded to shoot it in the butt, but that's another story.[/align] [/align] so, i've seen it work. i try it especially towards the end of a morning hunt. what's it going to hurt to try.[/align]
Old 09-25-2008, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm going to try tickling the antlers a little this weekend. I figure when the velvet comes off, its about time to start showing who the man is. Thats my opinion though.