Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

skinning a deer

Old 09-23-2008, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default skinning a deer

i plan to butcher my own deer. The one thing i have a worry about doing is the skinning i have no idea how to do it.

How do you guys do it and do i need a special knife to do it.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: skinning a deer

no you dont need a special knife. and you want a know a good trick? cut around the neck and down the legs put a golf ball in the back of neck tie a rope around it and put it on a four wheeler and drive hide comes right off especially if the deer is a little bit frozen works really well
[align=left] [/align]
Old 09-23-2008, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tim those links that are in your butchering your own deer thread..... they pretty much show you how to skin a deer! Just look at the AT pictorial and you will get the idea! the best way to learn though is to just do it! gd Luck
Old 09-23-2008, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just go slow and use a good and sharp fillet knife it helps to start in the middle and work up and then down pulling on it and rolling it up as you go, it makes it easy to handle and to cut. it is easier than you think it will be once you get the hang of it.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:57 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Huntinman23

no you dont need a special knife. and you want a know a good trick? cut around the neck and down the legs put a golf ball in the back of neck tie a rope around it and put it on a four wheeler and drive hide comes right off especially if the deer is a little bit frozen works really well
[align=left][/align]
The key is go SLOW if you attempt this method. I've also done it and it works fine. I saw my neighbor rip the head off the deer because he decided to put the pedal to the floor. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

A little elbow grease and a sharp round nosed/point knife to avoid cutting int the meat, just pull and use the knife when neccessary.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

i personally hang them by their legs and cut the skin at the knee and then work the knife between the skin and the body till you get past the butt. then you should just be able to pull it down to the front shoulders and then trim it off
Old 09-23-2008, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jimmy28303

i personally hang them by their legs and cut the skin at the knee and then work the knife between the skin and the body till you get past the butt. then you should just be able to pull it down to the front shoulders and then trim it off
Exactly how I do it.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Skinning the deer beforegetting one.

Get one first.

Hardest part is keeping the carcass clean while butchering it. I hang mine from one back leg by cutting a slit in the tissue between the ligamint and bone. Alreadt lost ya I bet.

Just worry about getting one in your hands.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

lol no from what i have seen you cut the meat between the legiment and bone and slide a gamble which i have in both legs and hang it.
ORIGINAL: nodog

Skinning the deer beforegetting one.

Get one first.

Hardest part is keeping the carcass clean while butchering it. I hang mine from one back leg by cutting a slit in the tissue between the ligamint and bone. Alreadt lost ya I bet.

Just worry about getting one in your hands.

Quick Reply: skinning a deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.