Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

skinning a deer

Old 09-23-2008, 06:22 PM

Default RE: skinning a deer

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

ORIGINAL: jimmy28303

i personally hang them by their legs and cut the skin at the knee and then work the knife between the skin and the body till you get past the butt. then you should just be able to pull it down to the front shoulders and then trim it off
Exactly how I do it.
Me three.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

[quote]ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

lol no from what i have seen you cut the meat between the legiment and bone and slide a gamble which i have in both legs and hang it.
[quote]ORIGINAL: nodog

EXACTLY!
Old 09-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

lol no from what i have seen you cut the meat between the legiment and bone and slide a gamble which i have in both legs and hang it.
ORIGINAL: nodog

Skinning the deer beforegetting one.

Get one first.

Hardest part is keeping the carcass clean while butchering it. I hang mine from one back leg by cutting a slit in the tissue between the ligamint and bone. Alreadt lost ya I bet.

Just worry about getting one in your hands.
The gamble is were you'll get into trouble. By tieing the one leg and hoisting it up, (I use a chain fall) skinning down to the head and then cutting the head off dropping the whole thing away from the body you end up with a clean carcass that can be quartered while it hangs. Working on a quarter at the kitchen counter is lot easier than working on the whole thing on some make shift table. Once you get to the last hind cut the carcass away from it and let it fall. Cut the leg off at the knuckle and finish up.

As soon as you cut hind off with the gamble the thing will hit the floor. or you'll hve to rassel the whole hind.

Forgot to mention that after it's skinned the straps and tenderloins come off first, then quarter it.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get one first.

Hardest part is keeping the carcass clean while butchering it. I hang mine from one back leg by cutting a slit in the tissue between the ligamint and bone. Alreadt lost ya I bet.

The gamble is were you'll get into trouble. By tieing the one leg and hoisting it up, (I use a chain fall) skinning down to the head and then cutting the head off dropping the whole thing away from the body you end up with a clean carcass that can be quartered while it hangs. Working on a quarter at the kitchen counter is lot easier than working on the whole thing on some make shift table. Once you get to the last hind cut the carcass away from it and let it fall. Cut the leg off at the knuckle and finish up.

As soon as you cut hind off with the gamble the thing will hit the floor. or you'll hve to rassel the whole hind.

Forgot to mention that after it's skinned the straps and tenderloins come off first, then quarter it.

Huh????

Old 09-23-2008, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

if i understand what your talking about what happens is when you get down to the two hind quarters you cut one off and the other hits the floor. I saw a video clip where the guy boned out the hin quarters on the gamble.

Get one first.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

We never have a problem with it falling off the hoist untill you cut the tendon that is holding the deer on the gamble. i always start from the bottom of the deer and work my way up i never run into that problem, if you are worried about it happening you can lower it down on some cardboard and clean it on the groundbut that is not neccessary.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

if i understand what your talking about what happens is when you get down to the two hind quarters you cut one off and the other hits the floor. I saw a video clip where the guy boned out the hin quarters on the gamble.

Get one first.

Sure if you don't mind standing there working on the meat whereever it's hanging. Try it and then try a quater at a counter.

The deer is hung over a bucket big enough to catch any blood, the hide, head and legs and the rib cage. Those large storage totes work well. Every unwanted thing falls away from the meat and into the bucket. When your done dispose of what's in the bucket. Area stays clean, the meat uneffected by the butchering is reduced to a workable size and package in a clean enviroment with no chance of pieces dropping into the parts of the deer it shouldn't touch or the floor with one exception the straps. They are cut while it hangs and also cut so they fall away from the rib cage. I start at the tail and seperate them letting grvity pull them out of the way. A bucket can be placed to catch them.

I also have knives for skinning and for butchering. You don't want the knife used to skin cutting up the meat unless it's washed throughly. Keep the outside of the deer away from the meat. If you butcher it were you skin it that's some tough work.

You'll see. No one has ever said my venison was anything but delicious. I think it's due to how it's taken care of once it piles up which you should worry about first. It aint easy to get that first one.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanks guys alot of good info here
Old 09-24-2008, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Huntinman23

no you dont need a special knife. and you want a know a good trick? cut around the neck and down the legs put a golf ball in the back of neck tie a rope around it and put it on a four wheeler and drive hide comes right off especially if the deer is a little bit frozen works really well
[align=left][/align]
If you do this, please either cut off the legs at the elbows so the hide comes off easy. I tried this method and the hide won't go over the hoove where it gets narrow. Cop the lower legs off first.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get one first.

I like to remove the quarters first, (hanging head up) then get the straps off. I used to do it your way. Did it this way last time and it turned out much easier.

Quick Reply: skinning a deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.