Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The "rest of the story" - Doe No. 2 Recovered

Old 09-23-2008, 08:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: The "rest of the story" - Doe No. 2 Recovered

Off to a great start Jeff, Congrats...
Old 09-23-2008, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good job there GMMAT....Backstraps for the grill!!!! Congrats!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff, congrats on another great start for the season. Dont beat yourself up too much over the shot, if you hunt long enough its bound to happen. You made the right decisions and it paid off. Once again, great work.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats Jeff, and smart move on backing out and waiting, glad you find her first thing
Old 09-23-2008, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

You may of hit the top of one lung..regardless "Great Job" staying with it and Congratulations!!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

awesome job Jeff! thats why i love this site...stories like that really help send things home for those of us without living the experience. thanx for posting. congrats! are them the first 2 of the season for you?? (just curious...i know Matt took one down there, didnt know if you took any earlier though)

did you happen to backtrack and look at the trail?? just curious as to what it looked like...

is that a leaf you purposely put on the entrance or did she plug it or what is that im seeing??? ive heard of wounded deer trying to close wounds before they die....just asking for my own knowledge...
Old 09-23-2008, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well Done Jeff. Congrats!!
Old 09-23-2008, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice work bud, and just another example of why I always recommend shooting the largest cutting diameter head you can reliably shoot from your individual set up.
Nobody can convince me otherwise that that huge entrance and exit coupled by the wound channel didn't have a positive influence on the outcome of that recovery.

I'll say it again for anyone who wants to listen. Do not choose your broadheads based upon whether they can "break a shoulder". Shoot one that will do the most damage and still be within reason for the amount of energy your bow puts out. Namebrands aside.........that's irrelevant. For example, If you are shooting 80ftlbs of KE, don't waste that enegy on a 1" cutting diameter fixed head.

In my experience over 23years of doing this the majority of bad/marginal hits are BACK a bit, just like that one, and that's where bigger wins the day.

Nice work on making smart decisions.

By the way my backstraps head for the grill in T minus 2hrs.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats awesome Jeff, you are da man. A big congrats to you.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks, everyone.

Mauser.....no doctoring of the photo. That was gut matter in that hole (entrance). The exit hole wasn't altered, either.

Longbow? Funny you should ask. I'm taking it with me, tonight. My son is hunting with me....and I only have two arrows that I've dialed in with my compound. I'm taking this opportunity to take the longbow out.....and I'm probably gonna sit on stand and watch Mitch......unless something comes in REALLY close (inside 15yds).

Matt's correct. The BH choice is irrelevant.....so long as we note it made a HUGE wound on this deer. I'm pushing enough KE to shoot the head I chose....and I'm happy with the results.

I'll beinterested to recover my arrow, tonight. I never even looked for it, last night. I will tell you what I find.....but it's sort of a moot point.....except for the education. I will say that the first doe broke the arrow on that hit right about the fletching. As far as I know.....it was a complete pass-thru......but I'll know more when I can see good in there. I didn't spend much time looking, last night. I'm shooting a/c/c's....and this is the first one I've had break on me.....out of about 10 deer shotwith them.

Time to re-group......get some more arrows ready for the compound.

Hopefully....my stand will still be there, this afternoon. I didn't go to it, today. I needed to get this doe on ice ASAP. That's also why I didn't go back on the trail when I found her, today. I was racing time.

Quick Reply: The "rest of the story" - Doe No. 2 Recovered

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.