Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Aquiring property, using the internet...

Old 09-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Aquiring property, using the internet...

Some of you may know this and some may not. But I have been using our local tax office to aquire properties. Basically, here in NC (can't say about other states) but our tax offices have a feature that allows us to search properties and get info based on the taxable properties.
Here's the link to ours....

http://maps2.co.forsyth.nc.us/geodata_08/

Basically I use it to find an area that I want to hunt - zoom into that area- and it gives mea view of property line. If you zoom in further, you can see the detail of the property.Find possible feeding and bedding area, etc. Then using the tax quadrant numbers, followed by the block number and then the I.D. number it tells me who owns the property.
Then using yellowpages.com, whitepages, I find out their number. Then call and give them the nicest pitch I can.
I know that it sounds like it's difficult but it is really easy. The hardest part is finding the right numbers, some properties cover 4 or more numbers. But with a little persistence it pays off well. I have aquired over 100 acres that I would never have found.
BTW - NC does not have the luxury of haveing plat map books that can be bought from the court house. I lived in MI and it was great to go and buy one and find land. But the plat map book doesn't allow you to zoom in andget details....
Hope it helps someone out.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Aquiring property, using the internet...

Ive done the same exact thing with a GIS. That may be exactly what your link is,I didnt click on it. But Yes, Ive done that, and its interesting to see how much land some people own all around the county.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Aquiring property, using the internet...

It has proven very efficient for me. Some of our counties use the GIS but I really like GEODATA. Gives a real birdseye view.