Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

gettin the deer to stop

Old 09-22-2008, 01:44 PM

Default gettin the deer to stop

how do you get a deer to stop?

two nights ago i messed up when a big doe came walking through it was bout 35yrs and i didnt want to shoot that far when she was on a fast moving walk. so i let out a whistle while i was at full draw and bam she ran so fast, man i messed up so how would you have done it
Old 09-22-2008, 01:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: gettin the deer to stop

Grunt with my voice. Louder and harder as needed
Old 09-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

I use to whistle until I had a couple deer run about 10 yards further than I wanted after hearing me.

Since then I have just done a soft "bahhhh" sound to get them to stop. Its subtle enough to make them stop... but not too out of the ordinary to make them run. To each their own tho.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:05 PM

I do someting similar to this

http://www.jahozafat.com/php/sounds/?id=gog&media=MP3S&type=Movies&movie=S tar_Wars&quote=roar.txt&file=roar.mp3
Old 09-22-2008, 02:21 PM

i do this.

mehtt

Old 09-22-2008, 02:24 PM

thanks i bet these tips will be better than a whistle
Old 09-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

a soft meht works very well for me
Old 09-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

my big fear is raising the alertness level of the deer.....i can understand maybe stopping a buck trailing a doe..his mind is elsewhere...but when you have a deer calmly feeding and make a noise to get it to freeze, he is going from feeding to full alert and doesnt know why...chances are way high that hes going to bolt at the sound of your bow...

ive had it happen...20yd shot...i was at full draw as he came by..."Bahh" the second he froze the arrow was loose....it was QUICK. still managed to duck as he went to bolt......

if they are feeding and milling around i'll wait for them to stop...or maybe even shoot them walking. but if someone jumps them and spooks them and they come trotting by my stand, im not going to try to stop them and shoot instantly. i may stop them and wait and hope they freeze and hang out and calm down, but thats unlikely to happen...but worth a shot maybe. my view is a deer that barrels by but doesnt know your there is more likely to show up later that hunt or that season than a wounded deer or a spooked deer....
Old 09-22-2008, 02:49 PM

whenever i try to grunt....I usually end up coughing and scaring it away anyway...so i would just go with a soft noise. Darn allergy season.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:29 PM

maaaaaaaaiiiiiiiinnnnnnnntttttttttttttt. I call it the sick goat.

Quick Reply: gettin the deer to stop

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.