Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Little Topo help on Stand

Old 09-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Little Topo help on Stand

Here's a better view

green are possible stands (the ones we spoke of, above). White is entry.

Wind is NNE

Old 09-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Dominant Buck

ron....

If I had a southerly wind....I'd sit there, tonight. I KNOW they use that spot. I see them coing into that field in the evenings. Chris is right, though. I take the chance of smelling up that entire woodlot if I pick the wrong night for a buck to use THAT entry point into the field.

You are right, though.....it is a GREAT spot that I will hunt.

Thank you.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

A 10 MPH NNE wind would have me hunting in one of these spots, If I were hunting the oaks.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:04 AM
Typical Buck

Jeff,
So I see that you took two doe yesterday. Congrats. Can you give us an AAR (after action review). Did you use this property and if so where did you set up? What where the conditions? Where did the deer come from? Sorry to be asking these questions, just curious.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ron3775

Jeff,
So I see that you took two doe yesterday. Congrats. Can you give us an AAR (after action review). Did you use this property and if so where did you set up? What where the conditions? Where did the deer come from? Sorry to be asking these questions, just curious.
Yes that would be cool, where at and where did they come from?
Old 09-23-2008, 09:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Thanks for asking guys....and I'll be happy to give you a recap. I also learned something about the woods, there, yesterday.

Here's the skinny.....

The arrows show the direction the deer traveled. At 5:20....the first doe made her way right down the ridge in front of me. I shot her at 5:33....and she went down at the southernmost brown dot. At 6:15....I saw an unidentifiable deer going up the ridge to my NW. I never saw that deer, again.

At 7:10......the big doe, the yearling and a fawn came in from my slight NW.....on the opposite side of the creek.....upwind of me. An additional fawn came in from "my" side of the creek....downwind of me. She was the problem....or I'd have taken out the VERY large (for here) big doe.

The yearling doe bolted (when I shot her) to the west....and was recovered, this morning, at the westerly brown dot. I drug the downed doe out on the line to the south......the black line....so as not to disturb the second doe I'd shot. I guess I did the right thing....but I contemplated exiting without recovering the downed doe.....by going due SE. It all worked out. Thank God.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Almost forgot....

I found a COOL old logging road, last night....that runs from the bottom all the way up to the road.....about 3/4mi. to the SE. It runs along this path. (See red line)

I KNOW they must be using this to travel this ridge to the west. I know I would....as hilly as that terrain is. I also got access from the SW from a landowner (actually a homeowner) that let me drag the doe out at their home. They saved me a TON of dragging....and a LOT of scenting up my area.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Typical Buck

If you've ever read the book about hunting terrain features, you'd be salivating - you've got lots of options there. saddle, field pinch point,nice wooded draws that come up to the field, etc. Tricky part will be playing the wind.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Typical Buck

Thank you Jeff, and once again congrats!
Old 09-23-2008, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the recap Jeff, thats good stuff. It also makes things a little clearer. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Little Topo help on Stand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.