Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Economical way to start bowhunting?

Old 09-21-2008, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Economical way to start bowhunting?

Hi Everyone,

I've been kind of lurking in the archery forums, but never posted here. So, I would really like to start bowhunting, but am really squeezed for cash right now, especially with a new baby on the way. I'm wondering if there's a way to get into bowhunting without a lot of initial investment. I've looked at bows and just don't have the couple hundred dollars to by a bow and all that goes with it. I live on a wooded farm in MN, so I have plenty of places to practice and hunt, but that's about where it stops. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks a lot.

Vince
Old 09-21-2008, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Economical way to start bowhunting?

Ebay try to find a bow on there..And trust me you can find a great bow relatively cheap. And of course its used..Or you can hit up somewhere like cabelas or gander mountain and get a nice name cheap compound.
something like hoyt, parker, fred bear, martin. All these bows manufacturers make a discount bow or a lower model. like bowtech has diamond, and hoyt has reflex. Do some research..I can say that they make a good bow and they are reliable...So look around...And youll find something. make sure your speeds range from 270-310 FPS and try to find a bow that has a package attached like a sight arrow rest quiver and stabilizer. Those are my tidbits and pointers. in fact right now im looking at gander mountain a parker side kick XP outfitter for $319.00 thats about the cheapest for a new decent bow.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:48 PM

check local shops for a good used bow. Ebay also has tons of bows and bow packages for affordable $$$.

my suggestion...since it's so late in the year, i'd save over winter, buy one early spring, practice hard all next suumer, hang a few stands, and let 'er rip next fall ready to go.

just my opinion
Old 09-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

depends on how much cash you got i think you could hit a pawn shop and pick one up cheap. i would think you could get one under 300 maybe 200
Old 09-21-2008, 05:56 PM
Fork Horn

You wanna be very careful with what kinda used bow you buy...You should have been here about 2 months ago..I sold my darton maverick extreme with everything. arrows release case and everything for $350
Old 09-21-2008, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SuperKirby

Hi Everyone,

I've been kind of lurking in the archery forums, but never posted here. So, I would really like to start bowhunting, but am really squeezed for cash right now, especially with a new baby on the way. I'm wondering if there's a way to get into bowhunting without a lot of initial investment. I've looked at bows and just don't have the couple hundred dollars to by a bow and all that goes with it. I live on a wooded farm in MN, so I have plenty of places to practice and hunt, but that's about where it stops. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks a lot.

Vince
Go to Archerytalk.com, and check out the classifieds there. Bows seem to sell for a lot cheaper on there than on E-bay or Craigslist from my experience, and you can get a decent bow for $150 or so, and get yourself into the sport probably for under $250 completely outfitted. The great thing about archery is that unless you loose them or bust one,arrows can be shot THOUSANDS of times, and they don't cost much more than when you first bought them unless you tear up a fletch. A $250 investment now, may have you hunting 5 yrs from now without investing much more than that initial $250.

Here's one.....

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=756979 And the seller has GREAT feedback!!!!

Another.....

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=751799 And again the seller has good feedback.

And another PSE Bruin ain't a bad bow, and at $200 with a dozen arrows, that's a GREAT DEAL, and again, the seller has GREAT FEEDBACK!!!

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=730052
Old 09-21-2008, 06:14 PM

best bet is a used longbow. they are super quiet, super cheap, and great to learn on. pick one up on ebay for a few bucks
Old 09-21-2008, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out this one too..... http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3049040 Bob's a good guy, and one hell of a cornhole player, just ask him!!!!

Another from a fellow HNI'er.... http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3019309

Old 09-22-2008, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'll just have to look around. I thought I was going to get to start on a longbow, as I have one that's really nice that used to be my father-in-laws. Turns out the bow is left handed and I'm not, so that ruined that idea rather quickly. That's okay, I guess. In the mean time there's a lot to learn, so I guess I'll just keep reading and go from there.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:50 AM
Dominant Buck

PSE has several real nice longbows in the $199 range, and recurves for even less, take a look: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/search/search.asp?r=Page%3a+%2fnet%2fcb%2fcb.aspx+KW+Box& amp;s=SEARCH&a=search&k=long+bows

Quick Reply: Economical way to start bowhunting?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.