Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I've often wondered

Old 09-21-2008, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I've often wondered

How many people methodically choose there stand's looking at the big picture? And how many pick a trail, creek crossing orbig rub atrandom and hope for the best?
Old 09-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I've often wondered

I follow known paths and antler shed locations. And I usually get my deer every year...All except the 2 years I never even walked into the woods.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:56 PM
Fork Horn

If I find signin an area I usually put a camera out for a few days and see what is using this area. If it is something good then I hunt that spot, usually with a climber.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

gri22ly, normally I will try to scout ahead of the season looking for deer signand continue to do soas I hunt and learn from it. I will move my set up's accordingly, not real sure which category that falls into but it seems to work out well.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have an aerial map that I look at the whole year round and try to figure out how they get from a to b. Put cameras up and kinda go from there. I find entirely to many trails and to many river crossings to bank on that. So I'd tried all new stand sights this year. I'll see if it works.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I scout a lot during late winter and early spring. I also utilize Google Earth and topo maps. There have been times during the early season that I actually hang an "observation" stand. One that I can slip into and observe a potential area that has shown promise through other scouting methods.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I normally try to figure everything out before the season opens. The last 10 days or so of pre season is the most important to me. I normally don't have a lot of land to hunt, so I end up with "transitional areas" usually. Deer are bedding on one of my neighbor's properties and traveling through my area to get somewhere else. I try to focus on what hold's the deer's attention while they're traveling through (acorns, hickory nuts, good browse) and hunt around there. In the end though, I follow my gut instinct for the exact spot where I think the deer will be.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

"How many people methodically choose there stand's looking at the big picture? And how many pick a trail, creek crossing orbig rub atrandom and hope for the best? "

gri22ly....I really believe that many people talk a big game but really just hunt the big sign when it pops up. Myself included. I am getting better each year at putting the pieces of the puzzle together but I really believe I am several years off in terms of methodically choosing a stand location. I have really worked hard the last 3-4 years on one large piece of land, trying to learn it inside and out. I was very picky when I scouted this year but feel very good in about 5 of the stand sights I picked...and chose them based on the time of the year and what my objectives were going to be on that time. I guess there is a fine line between being a good buck hunter and a great buck hunter...I have not crossed that line yet. I don't know when/if I will.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

The bigger pic for me.

I have said time and time again.. if you are looking at an aerial of your land you hunt.. zoom out and get the properties surrounding your own property as well. Deer don't distinguish property lines.

Overall.. the bigger picture is what I look at.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just have some helicopter pilots I know fly over several times at 2000 feet with infrared radar. That'll give you the real picture of the deer on your property.

Actually, I try to pattern the deer all year round. I am still learning their patterns here, but it's getting better. I have the big picture, its just not in pure focus yet.

Quick Reply: I've often wondered

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.