Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hung Another Stand

Old 09-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hung Another Stand

I had one last stand to put out and was going to put it on the 40 South of here, but the neighbors cattle are in there and didn't see any fresh signs of deer in there. I was a little put out that the cows are trespassing, so I brought it back home.

This morning, I walked over to the oak grove on my property and saw signs of deer everywhere. Last year the only deer in there were yearlings but the tracks on the ground showed me that there were a lot bigger deer frequenting this spot.

I came back home and pulled the three trailcams (to include the POS I450) and headed back over with them and my portable stand around 12:30. I placed the trailcams to cover anything coming in from the North and then found the perfect tree to put the stand in. I can cover 4 trails from there and it has oaks all around.

I got the stand put up and sat down in it to verify it was in the spot I wanted and would work. As I sat there looking and watching acorns the size of cherries drop all around me, three adult deer came in and started browsing. There was no way I was going to get down and spook the future meals on the hoof, so I just sat there and watched. I had not even bothered to de-scent before going out and if they could smell me, they didn't care. After 20 minutes in the stand, a 2 year old buck came in and was working the outer edges of the grove. They browsed for another 30 minutes and then headed South towards the sanctuary. The buck headed into the bottoms below the pond and disappeared.

I waited another 10 minutes and then climbed down and made my way out of the woods. I walked back to the house and explained to my wife why it took so long to hang a stand and got on here. Things are starting to look up here.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hung Another Stand

Sounds good, good luck!
Old 09-21-2008, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Didn't want to hear about MLV, so here are some pics....

Here's the stand.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

View to the East

Old 09-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

North view

Old 09-21-2008, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

West View

Old 09-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's an aerial -
The yellow lines are property lines
The black square is the stand in the middle of an oak grove
The blue dots are trailcam
The white lines are trails
Everything from the dam to the south end of the pond on the west side is sanctuary.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks good brother!!!! Best of luck with that set up!!!!
Old 09-21-2008, 03:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

That'll work for me, Mark ...now hurry up and hang one for yourself ... make sure it's far enough away from me so the smell of Ben-Gay and Desitin that emits from you wont spook my deer
Old 09-21-2008, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alright Tony, you're on. I'll just use it 'til you show up, which means I'll get years of use out of it before you ever step foot on to it.

Quick Reply: Hung Another Stand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.