Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question..who's done it?

Old 09-19-2008, 07:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Question..who's done it?

Here's my dilemma, I have a stand site that I'm as excited about as I've ever been over a single feature. The problems are two-fold one it's on public land, which doesn't really bother me, I hunt 70% on public land. The bigger issue is it's .81 miles by GPS (as the crow flies) up and down 2 mountains and then up the third. (and if you don't think we have Mountains in Ohio Climb these 3 peaks before you speak ) Walking it is tough enough, packing a climber in and out is gonna really be a back breaker!
Here's my possible solution, I can buy a Summit Bushmaster stand through my Cabelas Club membership for $139.99 with my points it'll basically befree. I figure I can tote it in the first time and after each climb hide it by a tree where no one could see it and run a cable lock through it. Then it's in the "area" when I want to hunt there. Believe me where I'm going only a very select few willever get to let alone come back with a cable cutter and carry it out.

Legalities I'm unsure of..and really for this infraction, I think the only offense could be littering?

So what say you? Good Idea or Wrong? Ya I risk losing a stand, but it's OK it'll only be a Summit
Old 09-19-2008, 07:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Question..who's done it?

Sounds good to me Bob. I see no down side really.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

the only time i ever leave a stand out in the woods when i hunt public land is the night before gun hunting. i go out put it up and get the hell out of there. i dont think that it would be a problem if you found a spot where you know no one will go and find it. so i think you will be fine.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 09-19-2008, 07:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

Here's my dilemma, I have a stand site that I'm as excited about as I've ever been over a single feature. The problems are two-fold one it's on public land, which doesn't really bother me, I hunt 70% on public land. The bigger issue is it's .81 miles by GPS (as the crow flies) up and down 2 mountains and then up the third. (and if you don't think we have Mountains in Ohio Climb these 3 peaks before you speak ) Walking it is tough enough, packing a climber in and out is gonna really be a back breaker!
Here's my possible solution, I can buy a Summit Bushmaster stand through my Cabelas Club membership for $139.99 with my points it'll basically befree. I figure I can tote it in the first time and after each climb hide it by a tree where no one could see it and run a cable lock through it. Then it's in the "area" when I want to hunt there. Believe me where I'm going only a very select few willever get to let alone come back with a cable cutter and carry it out.

Legalities I'm unsure of..and really for this infraction, I think the only offense could be littering?

So what say you? Good Idea or Wrong? Ya I risk losing a stand, but it's OK it'll only be a Summit

It may hold your scent and spook some deer, but I think that is your only concearn IMO
Old 09-19-2008, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds good to me! Rock out, like you said it's only a summit...
Old 09-19-2008, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

I would do it. Leave it there and arrive each consecutive time without the aching back, & soaked with sweat.
Good luck.
DW
Old 09-19-2008, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would definitely risk it. It really sucks lugging a climber that far in and back out every time you choose to hunt in such a location. I've done it many a times. You finally get there and you are so bushed by the time the deer start coming you are passed out. Not to mention all the noise you make busting a trail through the brush with that climber on your back. Dang near impossible to be quiet and still get to your stand without kicking up deer. JUST LEAVE IT THERE.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

I did it in Colorado several times last year for the same reason... Most states that I've ever hunted in simply state that you can't leave a stand out past last day of season, so I don't even think you'd be pushing any issues there, either.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll add that I also picked up one of those remote lights that will start flashing red from about 50 yards away... I found my GPS could get me really close, but in a brand-new area like that the next morning (I was going back in the dark before the sun came up), I could get within 30 - 50 feet or so, but I was still frustrated by having to walk around and find the tree my stand was on.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have done it quite a few times over the years Bob and never had a problem, good luck.

Quick Reply: Question..who's done it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.