Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Confused New Guy

Old 09-17-2008, 12:44 PM

Default Confused New Guy

I am about to go on my first bow hunt this weekend and had some questions about my arrows. Helical or straight or offset fletching? I am shooting ACC's with G5 broadheads. My rest is a whisker bisquit, and my draw strength is 65lbs. I am just wondering which i should go with. Thanks.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Confused New Guy

If you have the Whisker bisque, blazer 2" vanes are the way to go. the two are just made for each other. personaly i stay away from straight fletch. You want the spin to stabilize your arrow that comes from Helical or hard off set.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

It should not really matter I don't think.But it sounds like you have not even shot your arrows through your WB....you owe it to yourself and the animal your after to know how your equipment is going to work before you release an arrow at it.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

That's an interesting question to ask one week before a hunt to say the least.....
But now that it's been asked as awhisker shooter myself I would say....

-No helical fletching.. never tried it, but it justdoesn't seem it couldwork too well with a biscuit...especially if you're shooting vanes

-I shoot offset FEATHERS because when I shot veins they always got wrecked by the whiskers.

-With a whisker buscuit left-winged or right-winged doesn't matter.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: bcvd45

I am about to go on my first bow hunt this weekend and had some questions about my arrows. Helical or straight or offset fletching? I am shooting ACC's with G5 broadheads. My rest is a whisker bisquit, and my draw strength is 65lbs. I am just wondering which i should go with. Thanks.
Are you also new to shooting abow?

Have you practiced?
Old 09-17-2008, 12:54 PM

I have shot a lot before the today. I have had these arrows for a while with straight fletch, but my brother asked me if I wanted him to put on some helicals for me. I didnt really know the difference so i figured I would ask you guys. Thanks for the input though.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I might just be an old fart, but if you have been shooting (and hitting what you are aiming at) IMO it is a little late in the game to be making changes. Spring and summer is the time for "playing" with your equipment. One week before a hunt, stick with what is working. If you feel the need or desire to "tweek" things, do it after the season is over.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

With a broad head you dont want straight fletch. I used to shoot mine many years ago with straight. It will be harder to tune your bow to make them shoot with stabilazition. You need that spin with off set or helical. trust me on the blazers. They are a little thicker and hold up well on a bisquit. Regular vanes were OK but didnt hold up as well for me anyway.
ORIGINAL: bcvd45

I have shot a lot before the today. I have had these arrows for a while with straight fletch, but my brother asked me if I wanted him to put on some helicals for me. I didnt really know the difference so i figured I would ask you guys. Thanks for the input though.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Fork Horn

My blazers have done very well with the WB. Make sure you get plenty of shots w/ the broadheads and the newfletcing before your hunt this weekend. You need to know how it's going to shoot. Good Luck.

Bloodcrick, how do your helical fletchedblazers stand up through the WB? I just fletched some helical last night and will shoot them for the first time tonight. I've shot offset in the past but wasn't able to get very good fletching contact w/ the arrow.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:07 PM

and fear not....I did not plan on changing anything before this weekend. This was more for a future reference type deal. But thanks for all the input.

Quick Reply: Confused New Guy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.