Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mock Scrape???

Old 09-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Mock Scrape???

I am not into using scents, dominate buck, doe in heat, etc etc....But always wondered if making a mock scrape with a scrape dripper placed above it would help draw in bucks or send them to the next county. Any of you guys use this with any success? (Success meaning Bigger deer 120" and up).
Old 09-17-2008, 01:01 PM

Default RE: Mock Scrape???

We had one out in front of our camera last year. Not a single picture did we get.

Having said that, I've used a mock scrape as a hunting tool w/ some success. I don't, however, use it as an attractant, merely as a distraction. If I'm set up in a travel corridor, I sometimes put out a mock scrape just to hold the buck's attention just where I want him so I can shoot him. I've had several bucks with their noses buried in them, just none I was going to shoot.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobow

We had one out in front of our camera last year. Not a single picture did we get.

Having said that, I've used a mock scrape as a hunting tool w/ some success. I don't, however, use it as an attractant, merely as a distraction. If I'm set up in a travel corridor, I sometimes put out a mock scrape just to hold the buck's attention just where I want him so I can shoot him. I've had several bucks with their noses buried in them, just none I was going to shoot.
Ya I thinkconditions have to be near perfect for this to work as advertised...think I will just stick to using nothing.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:04 PM
Typical Buck

I use the mock scrapes on occasion during the pre rut and the beginning of the rut. I use a dripper over head along with the scrape. I make the scrape with a stick as to not put any of my actual smell on the disrupted soil. I have a lot of success during this time of year. I have set up mock scapes in the dark in the early morning and with in 15mins had bucks coming in, I have also had does leave there scent in them during the early rut too. Sometimes the sound of the stick in the leaves with the smell can get deer close by to come and investigate, its worked like that for me before. Id say there good if used properly.