Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who doesn't own land but has "permanent hunting rights" to some?

Old 09-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default Who doesn't own land but has "permanent hunting rights" to some?

Saw this article in one of our local papers this morning:

http://www.twincities.com/allheadlines/ci_10485887

How many bowhunters out there have legal permanent hunting rights to a piece of property you once owned? In most cases, you would have sold it to a farmer or rancher? How has this worked out?

I can see it becoming a big mess for both sides but I guess it wouldn't have to come to that. Personally, I'd rather own land free and clear or have temporary permission or a reasonable lease. Seems like both sides might prefer this as it would give each greater liberties in controlling land use.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Who doesn't own land but has "permanent hunting rights" to some?

It is messy enough the way that mineral rights get separated from ownership of land.
Old 09-17-2008, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

My main hunting spot is a farm that used to be in my family MANY years ago. Way before I even existed. The current and long time landowner has been great in letting the family continue to hunt there. Over time though it has dwindled down to only my Dad and I who still do.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

That's really cool rybohunter and that's the kind of agreement I'd prefer, the non-legal kind. I guess I was just thinking I could understand how the rancher wouldn't want to be forced to agree to the hunter's presence on his property. You can say then don't buy the land, but what if all landowners started doing this, selling off the land while retaining the hunting rights. Would the rancher pretty much have to move to another state if he wanted to avoid this situation? I'm all for capitalism, and whether or not who you agree with, a situation like this could get messy fast and lead to confrontations. I'd rather take the handshake route with the landowner each year or renew a lease. Less complicated.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:04 PM

We have a few places where we have permanent hunting rights. We do it for "deer management" for places building developments. Its working very well so far. Ive only been hunting them for a few years but some of the guys i hunt with have been doing it for 20 years. The best part is the people that run the developments have to buy us our tags for managing the deer herd.