Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rockey mountain broadheads??

Old 09-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default Rockey mountain broadheads??

anyone have any opinions on the Snyper vs the Gator XP?
been wantin to try these heads for a shile but never bought any and gonna try some this year but dont know if one is better than the other and so on.....anyone have any opinions on these 2?
Old 09-17-2008, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rockey mountain broadheads??

I've used the snypers for 4 years.

I LOVE THEM, great flight, great penetration, and great cutting damage.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:50 AM
Typical Buck

Never used them personally but I've heard great things about them. The entry hole pics I've seen are similar to Ragewhichcould be expected since theyare very similar in size. The Gator's are on sale right now at Bass Pro for $21/pack.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

My cousin has been using rockys for years and to tell you, im not overly impressed with them. he has shot many deer with them and have had asmall sucess rate with them. The deer bleed real good for a while then nothing. Hes an excellent shot when it comes to placement, but the heads just dont seem to do the damage that some other heads do. Ive been trying to convince him to try a different head, like muzzy, g5, or something else.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

I used to shoot Rocky Mountain ironheads, but I switched to Muzzy this year becasue I lost a blade on a buck last year. I dont like how the broadhead has to be screwed into the arrow for the blades to stay in. Granted the ironhead is a fixed blade though so I dont know about the mechs.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Aren't Rocky Mountain and Rage made at the same place? very similar.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:07 PM
Typical Buck

Snypers are my heads of choice. I have used the 2 blade and the 3 blades with great sucess. I am using the 2 blades again this year. I have had so much success with the 2 blades. I hit one buck too far forward a few years ago with a Snyper 2 blade. The shot was 27 yds, and I shot him up in the back of the shoulder. Man it blew through both shoulders and landed on the ground behind him. It knocked him right down. I hated the shot, but was very glad the heads did such a devastating job on such a bonehead shot. The entry and exit holes are excellent. I bought apack of2 blade Rage heads last year. I know that the Rages arebasically just Snypers with a few modifications ( I have heard that theyactually bought the patent from Rocky Mtnfor the head but still allow the Snypers to be made and sold). Iam going back to the Snypers again. I know thay alot of othershere have talked about the problem of the blades on theRages popping open, andmy buddy and I both had the same problem last season. I couldn't beleive how many times I would look down and one of the blades would be popped out. So I am going back to the Snypers. I have the utmost confidence in them.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Fork Horn

Both are great heads and will tip over the deer no problem as long as you put the BH in the right place. I guess most all of them will doth that right!
I've shot the Gators for 13 years now, the original rage, 2" cut, rear deploying, no oring, fly the same as my field points. that 2" cut wipes them out thats for sure, and like the others have said they are on sale now for $21!
All they guys that I know that have tried them now shoot them.

Best of luck!

They don't like the gator to the heart area!

Old 09-17-2008, 03:16 PM
Spike

I go back and forth almost daily between using Snypers or Slick Tricks this year. I have yet to shoot a deer with either, but I have been practicing extensively with both.

As long as I am very careful with my form, the Slick Tricks fly well and hit where I aim. However, the least flaw in my form together with the Whisker Bisquit rest results in a shot that sails 3" from the point of aim at 20 yards. This is still close enough for a kill shot and I prefer the simplicity of a fixed blade, but I am concerned that additional factors in a hunting situation may cause even more deviation.

As a result, I will probably go with the Snypers. I have created a few "practice" heads by wrapping several turns of fine wire around the head where the rubber band would be placed EXCEPT threading the wire through the blade slots, then soldering the wire. Using this scheme, I can practice extensively with actual Snypers and I find that they are much more forgiving than the Slick Tricks to bad form, slightly out-of-tune bow, etc.

Since I think that reliable shot placement is the number one criteria for a clean, quick kill, I will probably go with the Snypers this year. Of course, I may change my mind again tomorrow.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

thanks everyone.....think ill get me a pack or 2 and try them this year

Quick Reply: Rockey mountain broadheads??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.