Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Range finder

Old 09-17-2008, 07:08 AM

Default RE: Range finder

ORIGINAL: wihunter402

I have noticed on some of my stands that there is up to 5 yards difference in line of sight vs. horizontal. These stands are the ones on a hillside where I am up 15 feets and shooting down hill I get readings of 42 yards aim as if 37 or something simlar to that. Probably won't matter much but I have practiced and it does make a difference when I practice at some of the 50+ yards. I don't shoot deer that far but I do practice that far.
This is a good point. The further you are above your target and the further away you are - the greater chance there will be a difference in the distances. For the majority of normal bowhunting situations however, just an expensive extra feature.

btw: Where are you at in Southern WI, wihunter?
Old 09-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Austin/WI

I have noticed on some of my stands that there is up to 5 yards difference in line of sight vs. horizontal. These stands are the ones on a hillside where I am up 15 feets and shooting down hill I get readings of 42 yards aim as if 37 or something simlar to that. Probably won't matter much but I have practiced and it does make a difference when I practice at some of the 50+ yards. I don't shoot deer that far but I do practice that far.
This is a good point. The further you are above your target and the further away you are - the greater chance there will be a difference in the distances. For the majority of normal bowhunting situations however, just an expensive extra feature.

It is an expensive feature but fun to have if you can. I too have the RX-II and love it.

I live in Verona but hunt Richland County. Damn CWD crap. Wish we could shoot unlimited does but only 1 buck.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Austin/WI

It is an expensive feature but fun to have if you can. I too have the RX-II and love it.

I live in Verona but hunt Richland County. Damn CWD crap. Wish we could shoot unlimited does but only 1 buck.
Ok, so you're kinda from my neck of the woods then. I agree, the CWD regs screw a lot of stuff up. I wouldn't mind seeing a 1 buck rule either to be honest. It would probably never though, way too many pepole come to WI to hunt, and hunt BIG bucks.