Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rages whistling

Old 09-17-2008, 10:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rages whistling

ORIGINAL: bloodcrick

never noticed it with mine, BUT i damaged my hearing as a youth listining to Big hair bands
You too? Gotta love Big Hair!

Old 09-17-2008, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh yeah!!
ORIGINAL: Western MA Hunter

ORIGINAL: bloodcrick

never noticed it with mine, BUT i damaged my hearing as a youth listining to Big hair bands
You too? Gotta love Big Hair!
Old 09-17-2008, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vito1

ORIGINAL: chrowski

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Here's a test to try.....if you are confident in your shooting abilities.......lol.

Place your movie camera on top of your target.....and turn the sound up to the max.

Go back to (______) yds and fire a few shots at your target. THAT is what the deer hears.
Times that by about 100 from what we can hear. Deer can hear unbelievably!
Is this true Schultzy? I've heard, not from any scholarly sources, thatthe hearing of deer is pretty comprable tothatof a human. I haven't done anyresearch on this, but I was wondering if you have...or if you're just speaking from observation.
The biologists on Quality Whitetails TV discussed this recently. They claim new research found deer hear about the same as humans. The only difference being they can hear higher pitches. So maybe the whistling is louder to them if your broadheads are making a high pitch whistling? Either way, I don't think it matters.
Saw that show too, Thought the info about deer hearing was very interesting.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Dominant Buck

One thing to keep in mind, though.....is ...even if they only hear as good as we do....they have the ability to turn their ears in non-unison fashion. They act (I dunno)....like funnels. When I try to hear something faint....I have to turn my head to get a bearing on the sound to triangulate (not sure that's the best term) or pinpoint the sound. I think they can do this much quicker than we can, because of their ability to pretty much turn their ears in most directions.

If I could turn my ears forward (no jokes....lol) independently and simultaneously....I'd hear things better, I think.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

I believe I've offically hijacked this thread....my bad

I guess we've also got to figurethat adeer takes those slight noises (such as the clinking of metal from stands) much more seriously than we do...they're processing the sounds more seriously i guess...
Old 09-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah a little loud but man, what a hole!
Old 09-17-2008, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

Well I'm going doe hunting on saturday. The rages will be in my quiver. I want to see how they do before i take them buck hunting with me. I'll let you know how thing go.