Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If one doesn't do it...

Old 09-16-2008, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default If one doesn't do it...

Guys I've been pondering this for a bit. I carry my .45 with me during bow season for protection, after having a buddy stuck in a tree by a pack of yotes that weren't easily frightened. If I shoot a deer with an arrow and it drops it but doesn't kill it, can I use my .45 to complete the hunt. Or am I lawfully bound to use my bow?
Old 09-16-2008, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: If one doesn't do it...

That would not be legal here in ole MA. I can't carry at all while hunting bow. I guess the .45 would do the trick though..
I wonder how many states let you carry while bow hunting. ARedhawk makes a fine deer gun for those tough to reach places.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

In my state, and likely most others if not all. You would NOT allowed to finish the deer with your handgun.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not legal in Texas.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:33 AM
Dominant Buck

In NY you can't pack a gun or bowhunt with anyone who is..
Old 09-16-2008, 06:34 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

In my state, and likely most others if not all. You would NOT allowed to finish the deer with your handgun.
I'm in Indiana, and figured that would be the case. Just wanted to get the general consensus before I found myself in that situation.

It was passed this year that if you have your CCW then you can pack a sidearm in the field for protection. Several years ago DNR release some wolves to try and control the coyote population. Instead the wolves started running & mating with the yotes. Now we have some nasty guys in the woods. 3 years ago a firend was stuck up in a tree by 4 yotes, he only had 3 arrows. Shot one in the spine and the other 3 still hung around. Luckily he had his cell phone on him & was able to call for help...
Old 09-16-2008, 06:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Reading the game laws would be the place to look. OK, here's the link. You can carry a handgun under the personnal protection permit but can NOT shoot a deer with it. Read the last statement on page 3.
http://www.state.in.us/dnr/files/fw-Deer_Hunting_Equipment.pdf
Old 09-16-2008, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

some states allow concealed (or even open) carry for defense while hunting, but I think most of those do not allow the use of any firearm during bow season.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:19 AM
Typical Buck

In TN your not allowed to carry any firearm while bowhunting,even if you have your conceal carry permit.