Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Busted!

Old 09-16-2008, 05:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Busted!

Im sitting in my stand lastnight not seeing anything for the first couple hours when all of a sudden here comes what I thought to be a real good 9, he was looking for apples but the little guys cleaned them up, he stood just inside the edge of the woods looking at the cornfield. He stood there for about 10 minutes not moving. Ive already got my bow in hand just waiting for him to step out into one of the shooting lanes or into the field, no such luck. Somehow or another he spotted me. Not sure if he winded me or not. The wind had been out of the north untill like 10 minutes before he showed up, it switched from the south. He had me pegged somehow, even though im sitting in some pretty thick cover. I never moved. He turned and started to walk away, so I hit my bleat call and he picked up the pace, when he was further in the woods, he snorted. When he turned I got a better look at his rack, hes a good 10 pinter not a 9. Heres my question. I have hunted that stand 3 days in a row and hes the only deer that has busted me thus far. Should I let the stand sit idle for a couple days or hit it again and hope he returns? I hope I didnt spook him out. This is the second 10 pointer I have seen out of that stand in 3 days. I have no doubts that if the wind would have stayed out of the north he may have come out and offered me a shot, but maybe not. [:@]
Old 09-16-2008, 05:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Busted!

17 hits and no replies? What do you think I should do???
Old 09-16-2008, 05:50 AM

I'd probably wait a couple days before going back just to err on the safe side.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

If he saw you in the tree he might not be back, I'd look for another tree in the travel area and maybe sit a little higher.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

wait a bit
Old 09-16-2008, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanks guys, ill wait a few days before goign back there, kinda hard to sit any higher in a 15 foot ladder stand, I do have another ladderstand I was thinking about moving in deeper along their travel route. Ill post a an arieal pic later of the area and where my stand is and their travel routes. along with where I think maybe a good idea to put the second ladderstand.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Id pull out for afew days.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

What may of you guys have to realize is hits can also be guests who are not logged in. It does not mean that 17 members read it, and didn't respond, although that coud be, it could also have all been guest who cannot respond.

That said wbh, consider moving toward the spot the deer are coming from assuming it's the same direction. You'll catch them before they get to that particular spot. If your on them like you say, moving some distance in that particular direction might really put you in the best spot.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks Rob! Thats the best answer ive seen all morning, Im going to strongly follow that advice!

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

What may of you guys have to realize is hits can also be guests who are not logged in. It does not mean that 17 members read it, and didn't respond, although that coud be, it could also have all been guest who cannot respond.

That said wbh, consider moving toward the spot the deer are coming from assuming it's the same direction. You'll catch them before they get to that particular spot. If your on them like you say, moving some distance in that particular direction might really put you in the best spot.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:42 AM
Dominant Buck

That's sound advice. YOU KNOW he's there! Go get him.

I did this in '07.....only moving 40 yds in the direction I'd seen him coming from on two previous mornings (and yes....he blew at "something" on the second day). I don't think he winded me....but he did see me in the tree. I'm not sure he knew what I was....but the "move" was short and it worked out for me.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Busted!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.