Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How often do you spray?

Old 09-12-2008, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How often do you spray?

I've been using Scent Killer spray for two years now, and I'm pretty happy with it. I found myself keeping my clothes stored properly last year (which I never had done before), and I was spraying down each time I went into the field. The positive side to this approach is it's better to be safe than sorry (even if I was over doing it), the downside is I went through the stuff like mad[&:] I was curious to see how often you guys spray down your clothes with your scent spray? Before each time in the woods? Once a week, or what?

I'm not sure I want to be burning through bottles of this stuff this season, since I hunt pretty much every day of the PA season. Plus I figure with proper storage I shouldn't have to.

So what's your approach?

*Note* My intention is not to start a debate on whether Scent Sprays work or not, I'm just looking for opinions from those who use it.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How often do you spray?

That stuff last a long time if used properly. Ive been using it sinceI started bow hunting. I basically use it on my hat, gloves and masks early season. My clothes are in an air tight tub with fresh earth wafers so I dont have to generally spray them down with scentkiller. I have yet to have a deer wind me since I started storing my clothes inthe air tight tub with fresh earth wafers.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I spray down when I leave the truck, again when I get to my stand, again when I get in my stand, again when I think I might need to, again just in case, again when I fart, again........ I tend to use A LOT of the stuff. I buy the large bottles every year when they close them out at wally world. I get as many as I can. last year I used 6 of the large bottles. This year I have 10 out in the shop. I expect to use most of that up this season.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Everything gets a spray down before I enter the woods each hunt. Hat, gloves & mask if I’m wearing one gets and extra one before going back in the bin at the end of the hunt. Sometimes if its hot & I have a LONG walk I’ll spray down the hot zones once I reach my tree. Or take & wipe down with a scent free wipe.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I go through a lot of the stuff. A good 3-4 of the big bottles easily every year. I don't know if it works or not, but I figure it can't hurt.

I will spray myself in each layer of clothes as I put them on. I spray my boots. I spray my bow, my pack, and my stand if I'm packing it in. I then get to my spot and once in a tree, give myself a once over again, focusing on my head, neck, hat, and hands. Every couple of hours on stand, I'll pull it back out when I'm bored and spray down again. If I do a full day sit, I'll likely spray myself 3-4 times through the day.

When I'm done hunting, anything that is a base layer, glove, hat, or facemask gets thrown in a seperate container and won't be worn again till it's washed. I'll wear an outside layer 2 times before washing. If I'm not outside, it's in a scent proof container including my boots, pack, etc. The bows stay outside the camp hanging in the open air.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:32 AM
Dominant Buck

I go through more than a large bottle of e3 each season. I take the small one with me to stand. Everything gets a balst before I go out.....and I'll spray me down again once I'm on stand (if I'm sweating). Short walks (relatively.....less than 1 mi) don't see me spraying down from stand, very often.....but I know I'll have it with me Saturday afternoon. Expecting +/- 90deg.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, so I suppose I'm not overdoing it. Let's take this one step further. Do you prefer storing clothing in plastic bags or plastic containers?
Old 09-12-2008, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have 2x of those Scent Lok compression airtight sacks. I use those for all my clothes. When I'm going on a really long trip, I'll use the Scent Lok sacks for my outer layers, and then each piece of inner layer clothing/hat/gloves/socks/etc goes into a seperate 1 gallon size ziplock bag. All the ziplocks then go in a duffel.

My boots, bag, harness,and other accessories go in a large tupperware container. The stand rides on the luggage rack on the roof.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:06 AM
Dominant Buck

I have4ea -10gal plastic bags in my truck, right now. One has my harness, tether, fanny packand towels in it. Two havethe camo I plan to wear on each hunt, tomorrow.....and one has my boots. I've tried the containers....and still use them for non-camo items (haul lines, binos, straps, etc...). But at $1/ea.....the 10gal. plastic bags are wonderful.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used the HS bag. Every year I buy the basic scent elimination kit. I have to add a few big bottles of extra spray and an additional pack of dryer sheets or two. I think I am gonna get one of the scent blocker bags this year to use as my "every day to work and then hunt" bag as it looks more durable than the HS bags.

Quick Reply: How often do you spray?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.