Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dull broadheads = Bad flight ??

Old 09-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Dull broadheads = Bad flight ??

I was shooting tonight with some broadheads, back ups just for target practice, and I noticed they were very inconsistent. I shoot into the block and I can tell they get more dull after each shot (finger test). Could the dullness of the broadhead cause this?
Old 09-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Dull broadheads = Bad flight ??

im gunna say no. i see no way that dull blades may cause poor flight.

poor shooting form or a bow out of tune will cause inconsistant flight. broadheads are a big magnifying glass...form and tune flaws show up alot better with a fixed blade broadhead on the end of and arrow...
Old 09-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is a better than average chance that your blades might be ever so slightly bent... that would change the flight characteristics I suspect. Heck depending on your broadhead the ferrel might even be a bit bent. Aren't too many of them out there that are extremely durable.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

There is a better than average chance that your blades might be ever so slightly bent... that would change the flight characteristics I suspect. Heck depending on your broadhead the ferrel might even be a bit bent. Aren't too many of them out there that are extremely durable.
MOST will not even notice running into a foam target. The blades of a fixed head can't bend enough to affect the flight of the arrow as much as inconsistant form of even the best of archers. I'd say bow tune, arrow on the edge of spline or just got more tired and tired. I'd vote bad form and habits... or maybe even worn out arrows.

Of course, all this is based on assuming you're shooting fixed blades. Mechanicals bring in another possibility... premature opening which would definitely screw you and change flight.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

or maybe even worn out arrows.
That could be, cause I shoot the same 4 arrows. Just switch my tips periodically. I'll work on my form more also. Thanks!
Old 09-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Dominant Buck

So how old are these arrows and were they any good to begin with? You get what you pay for. Go buy yourself a new dozen arrows. FInd the best shooter right away and put them aside for hunting. Practice with the less straight and old ones.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Typical Buck

I am still relatively new to bow hunting. What he just said really makes sense to me, because I purchase new arrows this week and it really improved my shooting.
Chris
ORIGINAL: davidmil

So how old are these arrows and were they any good to begin with? You get what you pay for. Go buy yourself a new dozen arrows. FInd the best shooter right away and put them aside for hunting. Practice with the less straight and old ones.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really dont think a dull broadhead would affect arrow flite, the reason i say this because thats what i practice with. Check for any bent blades.
good luck
Old 09-12-2008, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot Easton Epic with quick spin vanes. This will be my 2nd year with these arrows. I use 4 for target practice and the rest are for hunting.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

More often than not poor arrow flight with broadheads is the result of arrows poorly spinedfor the bow. Then there's the issue of forgetting almost everything you know about paper tuning and tuning with field points and tuning for your broadheads.

Most tuning of hunting equipment is done backwards. We paper tune for bullet holes then sight in with field points. Tune your bow for good broadhead flight, with properly spined arrow, and most often your field points will fly well, too.

Easton's Tuining Guide is almost a bible for tuning.

Quick Reply: Dull broadheads = Bad flight ??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.