Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you wait for a dry doe

Old 03-18-2003, 10:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you wait for a dry doe

Here in georgia you get to shoot like 10 does, seems to me like they really need to be thinned out around here.

You only get 2 bucks. One has to have 4 points on one side or better unless you live in a trophy county which I do and that means any buck I shoot must have 4 on one side or better so that pretty much means that I normaly only get does for the season since seeing a buck that big is rare (maybe you' ll see one legal buck every two years or so) in my area.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:04 PM

Our rut is really late,so we see a lot of very young fawns in october.I personally don' t shoot does the first few weeks of bow season.It' s the best opportunity to bag a buck before they get spooked anyway.Seeing a doe by herself doe not mean she is " dry" or barren.Some of our fawns are so young in early october that the mother may have them stashed nearby while she feeds.I have shot does early who were alone only to find she had milk.Our entire season is basically either sex,so there is no pressure to shoot does early.For you guys that have a early rut it should' nt be a problem.

CB
Old 03-19-2003, 07:55 AM

I just wait for the first doe to walk under my treestand without fawns, and then i shoot her, unless io am waiting for a buck
Old 03-19-2003, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah, I try to wait on a dry doe. I don' t like gutting and skinning them after they have crossed a river or been rained on.
Old 03-19-2003, 11:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, I try to wait on a dry doe. I don' t like gutting and skinning them after they have crossed a river or been rained on.
Good one btomlin!

In Va. I would take the doe as long as the fawn has lost it' s spots, legally I could take the fawn also, we are allowed 2 deer a day. I know I couldn' t shoot a fawn though, spots or not, last year I had a spotless fawn dead to rights and couldn' t even make myself draw on it.